iOS 10 and Watch OS3

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Am a little confused. Just read on Apple website that the Series II watch, need iOS 10.
Does that mean iOS 10 is being released on Friday, 16th September?

And, if that OS isn't being released, does that also mean my new watch wouldn't work with an iPhone running iOS9.*?

watch.png

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe iOS 10 is being released tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, when the watch first came out, it only worked with iOS 9? So I guess it would make sense that it needs iOS 10. I'm sure there's other reasons as well.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe iOS 10 is being released tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, when the watch first came out, it only worked with iOS 9? So I guess it would make sense that it needs iOS 10. I'm sure there's other reasons as well.

Yes, iOS 10 releases tomorrow.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
iOS 10 releases tomorrow (Tuesday 9/13... usually around 10am PT) and Watch 2 ships with WatchOS 3 which requires iOS 10 on your iPhone to pair

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
For the last couple/three years (maybe more?) a new iOS is released before new Apple hardware ships with the same iOS.

And no, no Apple Watch on watchOS 3 will work with a phone on iOS 9. watchOS 2.2 is fine with 9.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Correct. Both iOS 10 and Watch OS 3 will be available today starting at 10AM PST.

I'm sure that, as usual, the Apple servers will get hammered today. I'm currently in southern Chile, so I have absolutely no idea if I'll be able to get the new software today.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently in southern Chile, so I have absolutely no idea if I'll be able to get the new software today.

I'm in Northern CA and my update went fairly quickly with no problems. I'd bet at some point to day, you should have no problem even at your distance, if your throughput is good. But good luck anyway!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks MacGuy. I was able to install iOS 10 on my iPhone and OS 3 on my watch last night. It took awhile but otherwise no problems. I left the iPad in the apartment this morning in the middle of an update. So far this morning I am amazed at the speed of the watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I was able to install iOS 10 on my iPhone and OS 3 on my watch last night. It took awhile but otherwise no problems. I left the iPad in the apartment this morning in the middle of an update. So far this morning I am amazed at the speed of the watch.

Yes, actually the Watch hardware was better than most people believed, so better software made a significant difference.

Congratulations on your updating!

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
It sounds as if you're saying that the current watch (1st Gen), will run just fine with OS3, probably as good as the new Series 1, no?
Thanks

Yes, actually the Watch hardware was better than most people believed, so better software made a significant difference.

Congratulations on your updating!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Can't speak for Mac Guy, but for me the speed improvement due to OS 3 is making me reconsider how much I want/need a series 2 watch. What I'd really like to do is compare a new series 2 to my current first gen, and i don't just mean 15 minutes in the Apple store.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
...are you saying your 1st Gen watch seems 'faster' with the latest OS3?

Can't speak for Mac Guy, but for me the speed improvement due to OS 3 is making me reconsider how much I want/need a series 2 watch. What I'd really like to do is compare a new series 2 to my current first gen, and i don't just mean 15 minutes in the Apple store.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
...are you saying your 1st Gen watch seems 'faster' with the latest OS3?

Yes, definitely. For example, my typical morning routine is a 3.5 mile run. Before: press digital crown, select workout app, press outdoor run, select distance option - all together, that has be 10-15 seconds at least. Now: press dock button, press outdoor run with distance option preselected = instant (well okay 1-2 seconds). Obviously this is just one example, but it matters to me because I do it nearly every day.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It sounds as if you're saying that the current watch (1st Gen), will run just fine with OS3, probably as good as the new Series 1, no?
Thanks

Yes, it will run fine with wOS3, but not as well as the new Series 1 as the S1 has an updated processor.

But the Apple Watch (as opposed to the Series 1 or 2) does run faster with wOS3 and handles it well. I've got it on three Watches and they work quite well. The whole user interface is more efficient to use and the Watch doesn't feel sluggish.

The S1 and S2 will be faster because of newer updated hardware.