Now that the Apple Watch has built in GPS and Nike+ integration ... was wondering how much interest there might be out there for an iMore running group?

I have to admit I haven't used any Nike apps in some time (Fitbit guy here) but I'll definitely pick up a Series Two watch if there's enough interest from the community! Let me know!
    09-07-2016 11:05 PM
    I'd be interested.

I currently run with a Garmin 920XT (opposite end of the spectrum to a Fitbit) and have been looking for something a little smarter for a while. I think the Series 2 covers it for me. The only dilemma I have is the Nike edition or not...

Looks like an extra 6 weeks for the Nike models; I can take or leave the straps and faces but it's not clear if you lose any functions by getting the standard model. Really wish they were more clear about this, feels like any pre order will be a bit of a blind guess
    09-08-2016 06:24 AM
    I'm definitely in the same boat. I need some clarity as to the differences between the models. If it's not much, I'll go with a regular series 2. But if there's some extra app goodness that is proprietary that 'might' change things. Honestly though, not a huge fan of the bands on the Nike+ edition. Kind of limits how much I would wear it, and force me to spend $ on another band
    09-08-2016 09:04 AM
    I'd be interested. I run a lot (when I'm not injured). I, too, need clarity on whether or not the Nike+ software will be available on the regular Series 2 watches. I love the look of the Nike+ bands, personally, but would be just as happy with the regular Series 2 as well.
    09-08-2016 05:00 PM
    I've just listened to the Ctrl Walt Delete podcast and they suggested that the Nike edition may have custom Siri commands that the regular watch may not get. Between that and hoping the Nike watch faces are good for running, I've just ordered a 42mm Nike watch in black and grey (which to me is the closest to a colour combo I could live with 24/7 because I don't want to keep switching straps). Now I wait!!!
    09-09-2016 02:19 AM
    I'd definitely join an iMore running group, but I'm leaning toward the regular version rather than the Nike watch.
    09-11-2016 05:37 AM
    It's certainly tempting. I use to be a big user of Nike back in the early days of the Fuel Band...not that it did much. I do however use Strava much much more for both running and cycling.
    Guess I could just use both apps lol
    Penguwin likes this.
    09-12-2016 01:27 AM
    I'm interested. I average about 25 miles per week. I wonder if being part of a running group will be possible using software that comes baked into OS 3 or will it take an app that's unique to the Nike.
    09-13-2016 10:50 AM
    Well we have a few takers I bet if we did a little promo we'd get a lot of interest

Any opinions on regular series 2 vs the Nike edition??
    09-18-2016 04:28 PM
    Well we have a few takers I bet if we did a little promo we'd get a lot of interest

If I get the watch, it'll be a regular series 2. I didn't see any advantage in getting the Nike edition. Apparently the software is a sort of social network for runners, as well as an activity nag, which doesn't incentivize me in the least.
    09-18-2016 05:22 PM
    Yeah, it's probably not for everyone. Plenty of great running apps out there.
    09-18-2016 05:24 PM

I'm getting the Nike+ edition. If nothing else, I like the bands, which I know isn't for everyone.
    tcuprof likes this.
    09-18-2016 05:37 PM
    True, and at least you can pick up other bands. So many good choices!
    09-18-2016 05:45 PM
    I'm in. Sounds like fun. And fwiw, very little difference between the standard series 2 and the Nike version aside from the bands. The Nike one will have a couple of extra watch faces, but the Nike Run Club app will be the same across all watches, and no special Siri commands. I got the Series 2 aluminum and ran a half marathon with it yesterday. The new Apple exercise app was supper accurate throughout the race.
    eyecrispy, PatrickNSF and tcuprof like this.
    09-18-2016 06:10 PM
    True, and at least you can pick up other bands. So many good choices!
    Yea. I already have a bunch for my original AW, so I think I'm set.
    09-18-2016 06:18 PM
    I'm in. Sounds like fun. And fwiw, very little difference between the standard series 2 and the Nike version aside from the bands. The Nike one will have a couple of extra watch faces, but the Nike Run Club app will be the same across all watches, and no special Siri commands. I got the Series 2 aluminum and ran a half marathon with it yesterday. The new Apple exercise app was supper accurate throughout the race.
    Nice. How was the battery life? Did you have your phone with you during the half? Congrats on finishing the half. Wish I wasn't injured so I could do one.
    09-18-2016 06:19 PM
    Nice. How was the battery life? Did you have your phone with you during the half? Congrats on finishing the half. Wish I wasn't injured so I could do one.
    Thanks. Yeah, I had my phone with me, so the Watch was using the phone's GPS. I'll be doing some test runs this week without the phone to see how accurate the Watch's GPS is by itself
    eyecrispy and tcuprof like this.
    09-18-2016 07:02 PM
    I don't use Nike+ (though I think my Garmin automatically feeds in), but I'm in!
    09-18-2016 07:33 PM
    Thanks. Yeah, I had my phone with me, so the Watch was using the phone's GPS. I'll be doing some test runs this week without the phone to see how accurate the Watch's GPS is by itself
    Awesome! Looking forward to your report.
    09-18-2016 08:11 PM
    Yeah, it's probably not for everyone. Plenty of great running apps out there.
    I'm a dedicated Strava user, so as long as Apple Health can send to it, I'm golden!
    09-18-2016 08:16 PM
    I'm getting the Nike+ edition. If nothing else, I like the bands, which I know isn't for everyone.
    The bands are what attract me to the Nike+ more than anything. Now I'm wondering whether Apple will offer those bands separately.
    09-19-2016 09:35 AM
    If they don't, I'm sure there will be MANY similar third party bands you could get your hands (er, wrists) on.
    09-19-2016 09:51 AM
    Awesome! Looking forward to your report.
    I just did a 4 mile run without my phone to test the Series 2 GPS, and color me impressed. Very accurate, def as accurate as my Garmin. I also listened to music with Bluetooth headphones from the watch and used the HRM. The activity was a bit under 30 minutes, and the battery only went down about 10%.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the phone's exercise app. Good stats on the run but no weekly/monthly stats, and the map of my run, which synced with the phone as soon as I got home, was accurate but didn't show the mile markers like other apps do. Hoping the 3rd party running apps will support the Series 2 GPS soon. Overall though, a very solid running watch.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    09-19-2016 10:02 AM
    I just did a 4 mile run without my phone to test the Series 2 GPS, and color me impressed. Very accurate, def as accurate as my Garmin. I also listened to music with Bluetooth headphones from the watch and used the HRM. The activity was a bit under 30 minutes, and the battery only went down about 10%.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the phone's exercise app. Good stats on the run but no weekly/monthly stats, and the map of my run, which synced with the phone as soon as I got home, was accurate but didn't show the mile markers like other apps do. Hoping the 3rd party running apps will support the Series 2 GPS soon. Overall though, a very solid running watch.
    Great to hear! I can't wait to get mine. Yes, I, too, am looking forward to 3rd party support for the GPS feature.
    09-19-2016 10:39 AM
    @Suggs68 - that's awesome feedback. Was actually wondering about the map. How accurate it is, mile markers, pace coloring, etc. I suppose it can only get better with time? (watchOS 4?)
    09-19-2016 10:49 AM
103 123 ...