Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #51  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

Default Re: iMore Running Group?

Yeah we don't want to publicly post anything - spam is bad.

Perhaps we simply put together a list of usernames and I could handle from there.

My only frustration is I wish I had the watch already, looks like I'll be waiting until end of month :/
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StraightlineBoy View Post
    Maybe by PM...publicly posting email addresses will just open everyone up to all kinds of spam and undesirable people.
    I'm fairly sure that platforms like Strava support the idea of groups which would be ideal - except the Strava app doesn't yet support the watch being a standalone GPS device. They say they're working on it but no idea if that means it imminent or months off
    Lack of Strava integration is the only reason I haven't purchased one already.
    StraightlineBoy likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Yup, you can create groups in Strava, so that would be a starter. It'll be good when they add the GPS integration, but I'll still take my phone with me on a run.
    StraightlineBoy likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by djrakowski View Post
    Lack of Strava integration is the only reason I haven't purchased one already.
    Yeah I've got too much history, running and cycling, on Strava to want to swap platforms at this stage. i can see me going out with my Garmin on one arm and Apple Watch on the other until the Strava app for the watch is updated!
    djrakowski likes this.

Yeah I've got too much history, running and cycling, on Strava to want to swap platforms at this stage. i can see me going out with my Garmin on one arm and Apple Watch on the other until the Strava app for the watch is updated!
    Speaking of Strava - anyone use it for running? It seems to be a little liberal with its distance measurements compared to RK or Endomondo. I did a 10K race this weekend and it would announce my miles about 100-200 yards ahead of the official race mile markers. Just wondering. ...
    djrakowski likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Speaking of Strava - anyone use it for running? It seems to be a little liberal with its distance measurements compared to RK or Endomondo. I did a 10K race this weekend and it would announce my miles about 100-200 yards ahead of the official race mile markers. Just wondering. ...
    I push Garmin Connect data to Strava instead of using it directly.

The only times I've had accuracy problems with Garmin were due to user error (starting/stopping the activity too early/late). This past Saturday, I forgot the hit the button when I crossed the line and my recorded time was 32 seconds higher than my official race time
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Haha, if only I could justify the expense, I'd do the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by djrakowski View Post
    I push Garmin Connect data to Strava instead of using it directly.

The only times I've had accuracy problems with Garmin were due to user error (starting/stopping the activity too early/late). This past Saturday, I forgot the hit the button when I crossed the line and my recorded time was 32 seconds higher than my official race time
    Oh ha. That isn't my issue. I just noticed that Strava consistently tells me I've hit a mile marker before the actual mile markers.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    No I currently use a Garmin 920XT which uploads to the Garmin platform and then onto Strava. I only do one course that is measured and across 5k it varies by 50 metres at most (and some of that could be human error). On other 5k runs I do I find if I do the same run they tend to measure within a few paces of each other. I'm hoping for a similar level of accuracy from the Apple watch.
    I'm only really looking to swap as the Garmin is as ugly as sin and is a terrible smart watch - in terms of measuring health related stuff, it's excellent
    eyecrispy likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

I'm only really looking to swap as the Garmin is as ugly as sin and is a terrible smart watch - in terms of measuring health related stuff, it's excellent
    My reasons exactly! If I could send canned message replies from my Garmin, I wouldn't even consider the Apple Watch!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #61  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

It's that good for tracking? Always hear such good things about the Garmin lineup.
    iMore Intermediate

Yeah the Garmins are really good GPS devices. If you study the GPS trail closely on a map there'll be errors but they're small and importantly if you do a 5k run one day it's not 5.5k or 4.5k the next day. They've done a lot with the newest devices to improve the looks but the one area where they have a huge disadvantage is not owning the mobile phone platform so they can only do what Apple will allow 3rd parties to do - and when it sells a Watch of it's own why would Apple make life easy for Garmin?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #63  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

So my next question is will the Apple Watch GPS be as accurate as the Garmin?
    iMore Intermediate

Really good question. Once my Nike+ edition arrives I do plan on putting them head to head and that will include the Garmin chest strap versus the Apple optical HR. What I want from the Apple watch is consistent data - doesn't need to be identical to Garmin (should be close though) - because without consistency you've got nothing. You don't need to be an Olympic athlete to require good data. If I run 5k and set a new personal best then I want to know that it's genuine, not because I ran 200 metres less that day.
    I keep checking my order each day but so far "Late October" is stubbornly continuing to say "Late October"!!!
    eyecrispy likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    So my next question is will the Apple Watch GPS be as accurate as the Garmin?
    I find the iPhone GPS/watch combo to be as accurate as the Garmin it replaced. I'm hoping the Nike+ AW2 will be just as accurate. Ask me again in about a month.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

So...where is our running group??
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #67  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

YES. I'm settled in with my new watch, I say time to run!

First steps? Someone give me a bit of direction as I'm still a bit of an Apple Watch newb. Let's get this going!
    iMore Newbie

Let's do this. Btw I'm Suggs68. Had a profile issue so changed my user name. I think we can share emails and then add them all to the activity Sharing section of the activity app. Then we can get this running group going. PM me and I'll share my email and we can start
    iMore Beginner

I think the easiest way to start a running group may be to connect through Nike+ (since everyone with an AW will have access to it). For those that still se a Garmin to track their runs, they can link their Garmin accounts to Nike+ pretty easily (I do).
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
    I think the easiest way to start a running group may be to connect through Nike+ (since everyone with an AW will have access to it). For those that still se a Garmin to track their runs, they can link their Garmin accounts to Nike+ pretty easily (I do).
    Yeah but I think then we all have to use the Nike app, which isn't as good as the stock app yet. Still can't see average pace during a run
    iMore Beginner

It's true that you can't see average pace (yet, I hope), but if you enable audio feedback you can get average pace after each mile. Ideally I'd like a lap (i.e.,1 mile) pace and average pace, but at least average pace is available by audio now.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
    It's true that you can't see average pace (yet, I hope), but if you enable audio feedback you can get average pace after each mile. Ideally I'd like a lap (i.e.,1 mile) pace and average pace, but at least average pace is available by audio now.
    NRC isn't nearly as robust as some of the other big running apps. I personally much prefer those.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I use Nike+ for all of my runs but I'm ok just sharing on the activity app. You guys can pm me and let me know how you want to set it up
    iMore Intermediate

I've tried several apps and basically none of them work reliably yet and are full featured. NRC and Workouts don't export to Strava, bridging software like RunGap only exports a high level overview of your activity and PEAR sports which records without the phone records one run and uploads very different numbers to Strava! Strava have said they're working on an update to their app but in the meantime I'm going to use the Strava phone app because potentially running a personal best and losing the data is no good to me

Default iMore Running Group?

I've tried several apps and basically none of them work reliably yet and are full featured. NRC and Workouts don't export to Strava, bridging software like RunGap only exports a high level overview of your activity and PEAR sports which records without the phone records one run and uploads very different numbers to Strava! Strava have said they're working on an update to their app but in the meantime I'm going to use the Strava phone app because potentially running a personal best and losing the data is no good to me
    I've been using Strava sin my series 0 AW bc Runkeeper is SO bad on the AW.

I haven't used Nike+ in a looooong time so can't comment.

Let's see what @jamesfalconer had in mind. This was his brainchild.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast