Any runners out there considering the Apple Watch Nike+ edition?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering two options.
1) Buy Series 2 space black SS for $599 and sell same first gen watch for an estimated $250. Net cost = $349
2) Keep first gen space black SS and buy Nike+ series 2 for $399.

There are pros and cons to both options so it's a tough decision (well, tough as far as first world problems go :)).

Mikeglo

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
So, not sure if anyone knows based on the information that's out at this point. I've read through this thread and some people have touched on it a bit but... I love to run and track my runs and everything, but I hate the Nike bands and watch faces, but would love all the other Nike features on an Apple Watch. Basically I just want a regular black/gold/silver etc. watch with a regular band that I can use Nike with... do I just get a regular series 2 and download the Nike app for it? Or do I get a Nike watch and get a different band for it? Haha any help would be appreciated.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering two options.
1) Buy Series 2 space black SS for $599 and sell same first gen watch for an estimated $250. Net cost = $349
2) Keep first gen space black SS and buy Nike+ series 2 for $399.

There are pros and cons to both options so it's a tough decision (well, tough as far as first world problems go :)).

Have you decided?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The only differences between the Nike Edition and the other S2 watches are the watch bands and the two Nike specific watch faces.

With a different band, the Nike could pass for any other Al Sport Watch. The Nike faces are supposed to provide greater running/walking information at a glance compared to most of the other watch faces. As it's the same price, it might be a better choice for some people.

I do like the bands, which generally don't seem to be getting much love.

That's good info, thanks!

I've returned from a short break but am still undecided on what to do... Hmmmmm

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you decided?

I want to have a close look at the new Nike+ before I decide. I'm currently in South America and won't be back home until November so it will be awhile before I have the chance to visit my local Apple store. On the plus side, maybe there will be some field reports about the quality of the GPS and a review/more details on the Nike+ that will help. I will say that if the Nike+ is as good as I think it will be I'm leaning towards that option - Nike+ for casual and workouts and original SS (which is now much faster thanks to OS3) for dressier occasions.

Thanks for asking. :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool.

I really need to pop down to the local Apple store to check these out. Kinda wish I pre-ordered, but had way too many questions about the Nike+ vs regular Series 2. :(

ostringer

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Apple watch Nike+ edition for two weeks. Last night I went running in light rain with a wind proof running top on, which covered the watch. The Nike Run Club app quit its self twice and while running the watch enabled airplane mode! The sleeve collar of the jacket was quite tight against the watch face and it seemed to be activating the tech sensitive screen. Which doesn't seem right. Anyone else experienced similar issues?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else experienced similar issues?
No, but then I don't run in the rain. I don't WALK in the rain. :D

Actually, I've had a similar problem on occasion with a nylon wind breaker. Wool might be a problem too. The Watch face uses capacitive touch, and just a guess– some fabrics can generate a capacitive charge which can affect the Watch. ANY water on the display can cause a little problem as well.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've run two times w my AW Nike +. No issues w the NRC app activating/deactivating while running and I was wearing a long sleeve dry tech shirt over it. The GPS was on par w my former MS Band I and II for distance. This was all while using a Bluetooth headset for music.

MCube74

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the Apple Watch 2 Stainless Steel version and I am very happy with it. I was wondering if the Nike Sport App can be installed for my watch or is it only for the Nike + edition? I know the Nike watch faces are cool but it is not really a big deal for me. I already ordered 2 3rd Party Nike+ bands for my watch. Just was wondering about the Sport App if I can install that to my watch or not.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the Apple Watch 2 Stainless Steel version and I am very happy with it. I was wondering if the Nike Sport App can be installed for my watch or is it only for the Nike + edition? I know the Nike watch faces are cool but it is not really a big deal for me. I already ordered 2 3rd Party Nike+ bands for my watch. Just was wondering about the Sport App if I can install that to my watch or not.

By "Nike Sport App," do you mean the Nike+ Run Club? I installed that but don't know what it does or if I even want to use it. Unlike many of the runners here, I've always been quite happy with the stock Apple workout app.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the Nike+ edition pretty much exclusively for the breathable band. I like it so far. I don't use the nike app or watch faces though - I think the faces are tacky and I'm satisfied with the built in workout app for the watch. I don't want to have to create another account. Too many passwords to remember anymore. That being said, I like the GPS of the series 2. I also feel like they have dramatically improved the wrist heart rate sensor in the series 2.

I also have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and I have to say I think the wrist hr on the Apple Watch Series 2 is better than the one on the Fenix 3.

appsmartvn

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I run a lot, and if you read my other thread, you'll know I'm considering the Apple Watch Series 2. That said, the new complimentary Nike+ Apple Watch looks intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd drop the $ on it over just a regular series 2.

Any feedback or advice on the pros and cons of the Nike+ edition over a standard series 2?

Note: I'm not that crazy about the Nike+ band options either. I'd feel comfortable wearing them out for a run, but in most other situations, I'd need to slip on another band!

I mean, I would love a ceramic one, but I am not willing to shell out $1000+ for a watc

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal