Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default Re: Built in GPS in Apple Watch 2 a game changer for me

I got the Series 2 today(sport black 42mm). I upgraded from my original mainly for the GPS, which is a game changer for me. I'd like to know the GPS accuracy or know when it's locked on to a signal. The new running interface in the exercise app is great and nicely customizable, but it doesn't matter if the GPS isn't accurate. I'm running a half marathon tomorrow, but will probably have to use Runkeeper or endomondo until I've had a chance to test it.

Does anyone with the series 2 know if there's a way to see the GPS signal on the watch?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman1 View Post
    I run with my Apple Watch and phone. The gps is taken from your phone. If it's spotty then it's your phone having issues. The Watch just copies off your phone.
    Not true at all. Plenty of runners have experienced the same issue I have. GPS from phone to watch isn't 100% accurate.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    5,953 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs68 View Post
    I got the Series 2 today(sport black 42mm). I upgraded from my original mainly for the GPS, which is a game changer for me. I'd like to know the GPS accuracy or know when it's locked on to a signal. The new running interface in the exercise app is great and nicely customizable, but it doesn't matter if the GPS isn't accurate. I'm running a half marathon tomorrow, but will probably have to use Runkeeper or endomondo until I've had a chance to test it.

Does anyone with the series 2 know if there's a way to see the GPS signal on the watch?
    Not sure, but hope your half went great!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    I am a runner as well and always take my phone with me on my runs. The GPS on the first Watch is spotty because it relies on the iPhone, but I am assuming that the built-in Watch GPS will make for more accurate distances. I have a buyer interested in my Watch but am torn on whether I want to wait 3-5 weeks for Series 2! That said, I only have a couple of big runs coming up in the next month, so I could get by without it - even though I'll miss my notifications and other watch stuff, lol.

Decisions, decisions...
    So it's confirmed that the Series 2 gps only kicks in if you're running without your phone. If you have your phone on and it's not in airplane mode, the watch will automatically use the phone's GPS. Honestly, had I known that I may not have gotten my Series 2 since I always run with my phone. I am happy I got it since it's noticeably faster and brighter, and I do like new things :-) but it definitely isn't necessary.

I've tried runs both with and without my phone and both GPS's are very accurate. Also, be forewarned that right now the only running app that uses the Series 2 GPS is the stock Apple exercise app. None of the 3rd party apps support it yet.
    mfm77 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Default Built in GPS in Apple Watch 2 a game changer for me

Take a look at this...
    I think my Series 2 transit through a Wormhole...
    Magically from Shangai to Anchorage to Korea then back to Shanghai

Built in GPS in Apple Watch 2 a game changer for me-img_1474471532.960250.jpg
    iMore Pro

it's noticeably faster and brighter, and I do like new things
    The three main reasons why I ordered an S2! LOL!

First and mainly, for the brighter display. Seriously. While legible in bright sunlight, most of the time anyway, it was very washed out. It needed to be brighter.

A bump in speed is always nice and this should be noticeable. GPS could be handy, but I want it to do is send my location to EMS and my ICE without my phone, and that isn't possible. Maybe with Series 3. (I don't want to rely on known network connectivity.)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts

Mine did/doing the same trip to funny. Fingers crossed I get mine tomorrow early in the day and not late in the evening.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbquincar View Post
    Mine did/doing the same trip to funny. Fingers crossed I get mine tomorrow early in the day and not late in the evening.
    Mine also is schedule for tomorrow "through the wormhole" right in my hand !
    iMore Nanite

Also, be forewarned that right now the only running app that uses the Series 2 GPS is the stock Apple exercise app. None of the 3rd party apps support it yet.
    Will Apple allow them to? Will they even open it up to third parties other than Nike? I'd love to be able to use MapMyRun with the watch GPS.
    Last edited by cheli007; 10-09-2016 at 07:58 PM.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    5,953 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheli007 View Post
    Will Apple allow them to? Will they even open it up to third parties other than Nike? I'd love to be able to use MapMyRun with the watch GPS.
    Ditto. Third party apps FTW.
    cheli007 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12