Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Upgrade just my hardware? Please?

What I am about to propose seems, at least on the surface, very un-apple-like. However, I would be delighted if I could walk into an apple store and "upgrade" the internals and/or the case on my apple watch. like a real jeweler might do with an expensive watch. what would make such a program very apple-like would be amazing customer service in their retail stores for such a service.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade just my hardware? Please?

I recall there being discussion on podcasts like ATP about this idea--especially for the more expensive models, where people couldn't be expected to just buy a whole new watch every year--but I don't think it ever went beyond that. Seems like a great idea if they could figure out a way to make it an easy swap!
    iMore Expert

Default Re: Upgrade just my hardware? Please?

When the Watch first launched, maybe even before that, upgrading the internals was suggested or mentioned by several sources.

It's up to Apple to implement such a program, and they aren't keen on talking about projects. So there's really not much "to go anywhere". I have no doubt that Apple has considered that at some point. Whether or not they do it, will be a wait and see.

Even if Apple were to do this, it's a little early in the life span of the Watch to worry about retrofitting the internals. There's still a lot to be done with software. I don't see it happening, but anything is possible.