Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What would it take to make you upgrade?

I bought my SS around Halloween and thinking it would take a lot to get me to feel compelled to upgrade (assuming the new one is released in March)
    What would it take for you to upgrade?

Please include when you got your Apple Watch and what model you have.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Default Re: What would it take to make you upgrade?

For me, I got the 42mm SS -- so I spent $600. It would be 6 months from when I got it, so it would have to be a big deal. I think I have everything I want in it though it could be a bit faster. But is it $600 faster is the question!

For me it would take a lot more than an incremental upgrade. I'd have to see some major differences in design and functionality, more so than simply adding more health sensors. The Apple Watch is more than just a device. If the rumor mill holds true, I'll probably hold off on the next model.

I received my Watch Sport (42mm) in May 2015 and I've been wearing it EVERY DAY since and I'm still enjoying it. I didn't have any illusions about what it was and how I would use it, however, I underestimated how much I'd come to rely on it. Anyway, when the Watch 2 gets released, I don't see myself upgrading to it because the current Watch fits my need. With that in mind, it'll take a good deal of features to make me upgrade.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

42mm Sport, October (?) I bought it with 6s+ as I was on a Note 3 before that.

Probably something I couldn't conceive of right now. I am 100% happy with what the watch can do. A few things, like more apps or watch faces, is really something that will come with time I imagine. I would like Apple to open it up and allow third party faces to be downloaded from the App Store.

If Apple released a round watch face I would consider an upgrade. I don't care for the square face.
    ruger141 likes this.

What they all said! ↑↑↑
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    A few things, like more apps or watch faces, is really something that will come with time I imagine.
    Watch faces is a good point... I'm hoping that's something that can be updated with software. Can't see anyone paying extra for watch faces! Except maybe @DarlaMack -- she loves that Hermes watchface!

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Watch faces is a good point... I'm hoping that's something that can be updated with software. Can't see anyone paying extra for watch faces! Except maybe @DarlaMack -- she loves that Hermes watchface!
    Watch faces are nothing more than software. The inherent question isn't whether or not more watch faces can be done, it's whether or not Apple gives us the ability to access them on our gen 1 watches. I wouldn't pay a bunch of money for a new watch just for a few more faces like @DarlaMack would, but I'd pay a couple of bucks for a nice watch face for my current watch.
    I don't think Apple will hang is out to dry. Our watches are less than a year old at this point. I still question whether or not there will actually be a new watch in 2016 and, if there is, I don't think we'll see sweeping changes from the 1st gen. I'm thinking it will be more like an Apple Watch 1s, even if that's not what they call it.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I don't know that I 100% agree that it's software only. I'm sure they can come up with something that needs a particular sensor or an upgraded processor. Not that it will happen .... But I kind of expect an "exclusive" to the new one in there somewhere.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,948 Global Posts

I wasn't one of the lucky few on here who got an Apple Watch given to them at the beginning so I had to wait to Christmas before I got my Gold AWS.

Would I upgrade by spending my own money? No.

I'm not sure what it would take for me to upgrade but it would need to be a major improvement over the original.

I'm a fan of round watches, so maybe if they decided to go down that route it would be of more interest but unless the watch did something fundamentally better than the current iteration, that would not be enough alone for me to upgrade.
    Algus likes this.

More native app and a data connection

Also FaceTime camera would be a big hit
    Last edited by kataran; 01-14-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts

I have a year-old Pebble Steel that works reasonably well with my 6S Plus.

I won't upgrade to the Apple Watch until it gives me at least 7 days of battery life. A health tracker is useless if the damn watch dies every couple of days.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by clickitykeys View Post
    I have a year-old Pebble Steel that works reasonably well with my 6S Plus.

I won't upgrade to the Apple Watch until it gives me at least 7 days of battery life. A health tracker is useless if the damn watch dies every couple of days.
    Charge it each night when you go to bed. Never wore my pebble while sleeping anyway.
    Besides this thread is for those who have the first Apple Watch and what would make them upgrade
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    More native app and a data connection

Also FaceTime camera would be a big hit
    FaceTime would be cool.
    Data connection like LTE vs built in wifi?

I'm kind of surprised that increased water resistance hasn't been mentioned yet. We go to the beach at least a few times a year and I'm not looking foward to leaving my Apple Watch behind. It's not that I can't be without it but it would be nice to be able to get my notifications without having to bring out my iPhone when we're swimming.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishBanker View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that increased water resistance hasn't been mentioned yet. We go to the beach at least a few times a year and I'm not looking foward to leaving my Apple Watch behind. It's not that I can't be without it but it would be nice to be able to get my notifications without having to bring out my iPhone when we're swimming.
    You wouldn't get the notifications if you're out of Bluetooth range unless your beach has wifi.

You wouldn't get the notifications if you're out of Bluetooth range unless your beach has wifi.
    Yep. My iPhone could certainly be tucked away somewhere nearby though.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Yep. My iPhone could certainly be tucked away somewhere nearby though.
    In the impenetrable fortress of a shoe, perhaps. Just put your sock behind it for added protection.
    Rob Phillips likes this.

In the impenetrable fortress of a shoe, perhaps. Just put your sock behind it for added protection.
    You and your jokes! I have two kids so I usually just tuck it away in one of the 11 bags or containers we bring with us.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

You and your jokes! I have two kids so I usually just tuck it away in one of the 11 bags or containers we bring with us.
    It's an old Seinfeld bit*. But I hear you about the bags. We can go somewhere for a weekend and the whole back of the Pilot is packed.

Extra water resistance would be good, but have to watch thickness. At the beach I would be more worried about sand!

*JERRY: People are going to steal from you. You can't stop them. But, everybody has their own little personal security things - things that they think will foil the crooks, you know? In your own mind, right? ..You go to the beach, go in the water, put your wallet in the sneaker. Who's gonna know? What criminal mind could penetrate this fortress of security? I tied a bow. They can't get through that. I put the wallet down by the toe of the sneaker. They never look there. They check the heel, they move on.
    Rob Phillips likes this.

I bought mine sometime back In my and I love it but Im a tech guy so I probably would upgrade to It just because its something new. I have the Sport 42mm
    robertk328 likes this.

FaceTime would be cool.
    Data connection like LTE vs built in wifi?
    Yes an option to connect to your carrier
    robertk328 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts

Charge it each night when you go to bed. Never wore my pebble while sleeping anyway.
    Besides this thread is for those who have the first Apple Watch and what would make them upgrade
    I actually wear it to bed, as it tracks sleep pretty nicely, and provides an excellent alarm without waking up the significant other :-). But, I see what you mean about the thread being only for Apple Watch users, so I'll take my comments elsewhere.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by clickitykeys View Post
    I actually wear it to bed, as it tracks sleep pretty nicely, and provides an excellent alarm without waking up the significant other :-). But, I see what you mean about the thread being only for Apple Watch users, so I'll take my comments elsewhere.
    Well that is a point, for sure, about sleep tracking. Not sure how well the watch does that though as I charge it each night. It does charge quickly, so I've seen people who wear it to bed and charge while in the shower But then there are going to be those who want it in the shower in case they get a text I've had excellent battery life with mine -- I had a day I got up at 4am, and took it off at 12:30am the next morning and it still had 37% battery, I believe? (I know i posted it here somewhere) So even if it doesn't get a full charge in the shower, it should last quite a while.

If you do upgrade your Pebble, I think you'll be happy with it! The integration with iOS is quite good (as it should be).
    clickitykeys likes this.

Global Posts
    3,904 Global Posts

Honestly...?

I had the AW1 for a whopping two days...before I sold it to a coworker. Why? I bought it on a whim, and I discovered within minutes that I didn't need to be THAT connected, and all it did was mimic my phone. That's not a bad thing...I guess I just expected more. Apple will have to wow me on the next generation AW to get me to drop coin again. I'm not saying I won't. Heck, I'm a guy who wants the latest mobile tech each year...but they better make it harder to say "no".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast