What running app do you use? Why?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Since I bought my Apple Watch I have used the stock Apple workout app for my running. It tells me nearly everything I want to know - calories, distance, time, avg. heart rate, avg. pace (overall and per mile), and a route map. I say nearly everything because I wish it gave a few more stats such as accumulated distance and pace for the year. To get that, I log my runs on the connect.garmin calendar and then use the ConnectStats app for stats. For me, if the stock app had the stats I get on ConnectStats, it would be perfect. Something that's very important to me is reliability. I've experienced problems maybe twice ever with the stock app in hundreds of runs so I rate it as very reliable.

So what about you? What running app do you use? Why? If you think the app you use is better than the stock app, please explain why. What am I missing?

TIA!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I've gone on a run, but the Workout app on my Watch is more than sufficient for "me".

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
One thing that I definitely hate about the stock app is the dumb "3...2...1..." countdown. Any app that doesn't do that is better than the stock app.

No app I've tried so far (stock workouts, Runkeeper, Nike, MapMyRun, iSmoothRun, Intervals) is good enough. I'll just keep using my Garmin watch and I'll keep an eye on these and see if one of them adds features that I want (interval timing with haptics at the end of the interval; support for upload to some online service for tracking; displays with total time, total distance, current pace, with a swipe other fields like lap time, average pace, lap distance; auto lap for your choice of distance, with haptic when the auto lap happens; no audio interruptions while I'm running). I'm just looking for the AW to be a backup for my running watch, but it's really not there yet.

bales_83

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
One thing that I definitely hate about the stock app is the dumb "3...2...1..." countdown. Any app that doesn't do that is better than the stock app.

Haha I actually like that! I'm currently using the free version of Run Keeper but quite like Sports Tracker too.

jprice912

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So I run about 30 miles a week and usually run with my garmin on 1 arm and my Apple Watch on the other. For me, the stock app just doesn't give me enough info. I could care less about pace because that jumps around so much and is not useful and average pace really isn't useful either especially when I'm trying for half marathons and such. I wish the stock app would let me choose lap pace (pace per mile) which is what I use to train by. I am currently going back and forth between Strava and iSmoothrun. Neither one of those allows to run without fun yet, but I have always run with my phone anyway to listen to music and such. I really like iSmoothrun because it was built by a triathlete and so there is an emphasis on things such as cadence. It measures cadence and even has a metronome to help keep run cadence where you want it. You can also import the runs to all sorts of other services such as Strava, garmin connect, etc. which you can't do with the stock app.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I use MapMyRun and am very happy with it. Here are my good and bad about the app:

The bad:
Have to run with the phone. This is really the only downside with the app at this time I can see. This doesn't bother me though since I prefer to run with my phone.

The good:
The app covers over 400 exercises besides running. Including treadmills, elliptical machines, hiking, biking, swimming, yoga, etc...
You can export your route based exercises (runs, hikes, biking, etc.) to tcx files for importing into other programs through he website
You can customize which items you want displayed on the app such as pace, distance, calories burned
Easy to add other input devices such as chest strap heart rate monitors
Easy syncing with MyFitnessPal for tracking food calories
Easy syncing with the Apple Health App
Music control built in
Setting for delay start timer and voice feedback
Siri control to start/stop workouts on the watch (similar to NRC)
Watch complication to start workouts (again like NRC)
You can plan out routes on the website, save them and then load them into the app
Plus some additional items for paid MVP members ($30/year I think) like heart rate zone training and some other benefits.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been a runner for about the last couple of years and clocked up a fair few kilometres and tested many apps. For me I need a few things or apps are quickly rejected...
Reliability - must consistently give the same distance when I repeat runs, must not crash.
Strava export - All of my data is on Strava, and that's where my friends are too. I'm not into closed eco-systems that think they own my data. Strava allows good post run analysis of your runs, break it down into sections and see where you were going well and where it wasn't going so well.

Most of the time I have used a Garmin Forerunner 920XT. It's a big ugly thing, but it's reliable and the battery life is great. Garmin Connect automatically pushes data onto Strava. It doesn't do audio prompts or wireless music so I run with an iPod shuffle.

I got a Nike+ Apple Watch when they launched at the end of October 2016 and think I've tried all of the Apps that offer watch only GPS running.

Stock workouts app - works but no native Strava export. Too basic for me.

Nike Run Club - initially buggy but updates have improved the app but Nike think they own your data and that's a fail. The post run info they offer is really basic.

PEAR Sports - very early to the party, a 3rd party doing watch GPS. They allow Strava export if you subscribe to their premium monthly plan. Would have considered it but found the app to be buggy. There has been an update in January 2017 that I've not tested.

RunKeeper - Buggy. Went out one day and it recorded an impossibly fast first kilometre, and that point I couldn't trust it any more. Also lacked audio prompts.

As far as I am aware at this time all of the other major running apps require the presence of the phone (MapMyRun, Endemondo, Strava, Runmeter etc). Strava are definitely working on a watch only GPS version so I'm pinning my hopes on that.

Right now I'm back to using my trusty Garmin when I run because it's the only one of my options that gives me what I want and that I trust. I can also put whatever data fields on the watch that I want. The Apple Watch hardware is accurate but the apps at present are disappointing

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to the Watch coming from the Microsoft Band and I'll be going for my first run today. I'm going to start with Nike+ app so we'll see how that goes. Seeing some of the reviews/feedback on RunKeeper, I was going to go with that, but the fact that you can't do a treadmill workout was more than a little disappointing, especially in winter.

One of the reasons I went with the Watch was the built in GPS, so all the apps that require the phone are non-starters.

My requirements aren't particularly high in an app: GPS through the watch, ability to see my heart rate, pace, time, and distance during the run. And post run I'd like to see a chart for heart rate, pace, distance, and splits.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I used Endomondo long ago and loved it. Switched to RK when endomondo wasn't supported by Pebble. Ditched RK when it sucked on AW series 0. Was the most unreliable thing. Been using Strava ever since. I haven't done many longer runs due to injury but Strava seems to be less accurate than other apps I've used. I hit the mile marker sooner than with RK or Endomondo or any other app.

I will do my first outdoor run in awhile late this week. Can report back. Looking forward to trying workout app now that I'm using series 2.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
One thing that I definitely hate about the stock app is the dumb "3...2...1..." countdown. Any app that doesn't do that is better than the stock app..

FYI, you can stop that. When it starts the countdown just tap the screen again and it will start immediately.

I'm with bales_83, I like it. My dog gets so excited when he hears that countdown beep.

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I have now gone on a couple of outdoor runs using the Nike+ app. Generally, I think it's OK and it does the job. Definitely not perfect though.
The good:
* Accuracy is what I expected.
* Post run information was solid - splits, heart rate, etc.

The not so good:
* Splits during the run are nearly impossible to catch. From what I can tell, the watch doesn't even vibrate and only does a voice prompt telling you that you hit a mile. I guess if I was running audio through the watch, I would hear it better, but as of now, I'm not. And that would be especially annoying during a race. Give me a good vibration on the wrist and a visual showing what my last split was. That's all that's needed.
* I have the "all metrics" setting turned on, but that doesn't display average pace information unless you are paused.
* Post run sharing. I don't do this often, but as it was my first run I thought I'd share it to FaceBook. Don't bother trying that through the web page. All it shared was the distance of the run. So, I tried through the app on the phone. You at least get a visual of the route and distance, but none of the other statistics. A friend uses the Android version of the app, and when he shares, it shows multiple data points so it seems It can be done.

I'll likely be trying a treadmill run tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The not so good:
* Splits during the run are nearly impossible to catch. From what I can tell, the watch doesn't even vibrate and only does a voice prompt telling you that you hit a mile. I guess if I was running audio through the watch, I would hear it better, but as of now, I'm not. And that would be especially annoying during a race. Give me a good vibration on the wrist and a visual showing what my last split was. That's all that's needed.
* I have the "all metrics" setting turned on, but that doesn't display average pace information unless you are paused.
* Post run sharing. I don't do this often, but as it was my first run I thought I'd share it to FaceBook. Don't bother trying that through the web page. All it shared was the distance of the run. So, I tried through the app on the phone. You at least get a visual of the route and distance, but none of the other statistics. A friend uses the Android version of the app, and when he shares, it shows multiple data points so it seems It can be done.

You do get audio prompts of your splits if you have headphones connected but I believe that many races don't permit the use of headphones so a stronger tap on the wrist would be a good thing.
It annoys me that it displays current pace when you run, because the figure is so variable and therefore basically worthless. Average pace is much more useful.
The sharing options are tragic. Nike seem to believe that they can pretend that the rest of the world does not exist. It's very short-sighted and the single main reason I don't use their app at present.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm more biker than runner. I'm in a circle of people who've always liked the Abvio apps. They're really the same but default to one sport. I switch between activities. In my short time with Apple watch I like it more than ever but it does need setup time if Apple's built-in is nicely simple the Abvio setup is nicely comprehensive.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm more biker than runner. I'm in a circle of people who've always liked the Abvio apps. They're really the same but default to one sport. I switch between activities. In my short time with Apple watch I like it more than ever but it does need setup time if Apple's built-in is nicely simple the Abvio setup is nicely comprehensive.
I'm hoping they do an update to do Watch only GPS which their apps currently lack. I used their Cyclemeter app for a long time (until I got a Garmin Watch) and rated that highly

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping they do an update to do Watch only GPS which their apps currently lack. I used their Cyclemeter app for a long time (until I got a Garmin Watch) and rated that highly

I believe you mean app works without the phone. I quickly start and stop a walk with phone i airplane mode but an indoor test. The app worked. Some apps clearly do not work if they are not communicating with the phone.

Any and all independence o the phone interests me. It is why I didn't buy the Apple watch until recently.

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'll likely be trying a treadmill run tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

I ran on the treadmill this morning. Same post run information is available (good). Same complaints about the split notification. In fact, it was actually worse because of the noise of the treadmill. I never did catch my mile splits. The other issue is calibration. It was a full 30 seconds per mile off. I know there will be some variability, but my last two outdoor runs should have calibrated it between an 8:00 and 8:10 mile. Watch had me at 8:33. Do I have to use the Apple app to correctly calibrate my stride? I would have assumed that the Nike app would do it, but maybe not.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
FYI, you can stop that. When it starts the countdown just tap the screen again and it will start immediately.

I'm with bales_83, I like it. My dog gets so excited when he hears that countdown beep.

Fine, but it would certainly be better if you had at least an option to turn off the countdown if you don't want it. Especially if you are trying to time a race, it seems like bad ux to make a runner tap twice to start the watch when the gun goes off, just for an example.

It'd also be better for the watch to allow using the hardware buttons for lap and stop.

Things will get better as time goes by, I'm sure.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Fine, but it would certainly be better if you had at least an option to turn off the countdown if you don't want it. Especially if you are trying to time a race, it seems like bad ux to make a runner tap twice to start the watch when the gun goes off, just for an example.

Good point. I never race so that didn't even occur to me.

It'd also be better for the watch to allow using the hardware buttons for lap and stop.

YES! I really wish we had the option to use the dock button to end a run. It's frustrating to stand there for 20-30 seconds trying to get your finger dry enough so that the screen can read it. Meanwhile that great 5k time you had evaporates.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox