I'm torn - Should I pull the trigger on an Apple TV or not?!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Smart TV in my basement with a wired eithernet connection. It's unreliable at best. Half the time it won't connect to the internet and the other half it does with a little playing around. I have Netflix, Hulu plus a cable subscription (so I am access content from there - i.e. HBO Go). Just not sure if it makes sense for me to get one? I think I'd utilize the iTunes movie rentals a lot (since I currently don't really have a way to rent movies digitally so I either buy or I wait until the movie is on a streaming service/movie channel).

Someone please sway me one way or the other. (Also, if I get one, what size? I don't think I'll play many games, I already have a PS4 and a Switch.)

Thanks!

PS - I know it's off topic but I'm also considering switch from Spotify to Apple Music and would love opinions on that too.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have two gen 4 Apple TVs on my home and they get used daily. I find them to be very reliable and run much more smoothly than the clunky software built into Smart TVs. Considering that you want to rent movies through iTunes this seems like a no-brainer to me. The 32 GB version should suffice. I have a 32 GB and a 64 GB but neither are anywhere near full capacity.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I have a Smart TV in my basement with a wired eithernet connection. It's unreliable at best. Half the time it won't connect to the internet and the other half it does with a little playing around.
First you need to determine if the problem is with your coaxial cable, your internet wall connection, your TV, etc. since it works part of the time with "a little playing around", I think you have a short somewhere. Try using a different coaxial cable.
I have Netflix, Hulu plus a cable subscription (so I am access content from there - i.e. HBO Go). Just not sure if it makes sense for me to get one?
It does not make sense to get an Apple TV or any other streaming device if you still have internet connectivity issues.
I think I'd utilize the iTunes movie rentals a lot (since I currently don't really have a way to rent movies digitally so I either buy or I wait until the movie is on a streaming service/movie channel).

Someone please sway me one way or the other. (Also, if I get one, what size? I don't think I'll play many games, I already have a PS4 and a Switch.)

Thanks!

PS - I know it's off topic but I'm also considering switch from Spotify to Apple Music and would love opinions on that too.

Fix your internet connectivity first. Once that's done, you can continue using the options via your smart tv, unless iTunes and/or Music is a must-have for you.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
First you need to determine if the problem is with your coaxial cable, your internet wall connection, your TV, etc. since it works part of the time with "a little playing around", I think you have a short somewhere. Try using a different coaxial cable. It does not make sense to get an Apple TV or any other streaming device if you still have internet connectivity issues.

Fix your internet connectivity first. Once that's done, you can continue using the options via your smart tv, unless iTunes and/or Music is a must-have for you.

Thanks, D! So it's definitely a TV issue. I've used this eithernet cable on 3 or 4 different devices (a bluray plus at least 2 video game consoles and I've never had a problem with connectivity). The TV works perfect with the cable and I'm able to use my video game consoles without issue (even those that connect online). It's something with the "Smart TV apps."

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, D! So it's definitely a TV issue. I've used this eithernet cable on 3 or 4 different devices (a bluray plus at least 2 video game consoles and I've never had a problem with connectivity). The TV works perfect with the cable and I'm able to use my video game consoles without issue (even those that connect online). It's something with the "Smart TV apps."

Did you check to see if there's a firmware update for the TV? If there is one, it may fix the problem.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you check to see if there's a firmware update for the TV? If there is one, it may fix the problem.

There have been several but this issue persists after each one. I've literally wracked my brain trying to figure this out! When I turn the TV, sometimes I get a prompt saying a wired connection has been detected and it asks if I want to setup a wired connection. I always hit yes and it usually works after that. Sometimes I don't get the prompt and it won't connect to apps. I have to turn the TV on/off to try to get it to connect. I've even switched the eithernet cables with one of the ones I use for my game systems. Thanks for talking through all these solutions - at least you're on the same train of thought as me.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There have been several but this issue persists after each one. I've literally wracked my brain trying to figure this out! When I turn the TV, sometimes I get a prompt saying a wired connection has been detected and it asks if I want to setup a wired connection. I always hit yes and it usually works after that. Sometimes I don't get the prompt and it won't connect to apps. I have to turn the TV on/off to try to get it to connect. I've even switched the eithernet cables with one of the ones I use for my game systems. Thanks for talking through all these solutions - at least you're on the same train of thought as me.

Get an Apple TV.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes sir!

Do you have an opinion on Spotify vs Apple Music lol?

Easy, Spotify is gibberish or any other strong adjective there is. Music is the way to go.
I have been a subscriber since it got launched and have yet to see something I don't like, apart from the social part. That's better on Spotify.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you've got crowd sourced affirmation enough to do it... :) I like my AppleTV4... use it regularly to stream from my iTunes library, and several 'Channel' apps...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you've got crowd sourced affirmation enough to do it... :) I like my AppleTV4... use it regularly to stream from my iTunes library, and several 'Channel' apps...

Haha yes, I agree! I've received plenty of positive feedback. My birthday is next Saturday (and it's a semi-big one, not 21 or "over the hill" though), so maybe I'll get myself an Apple TV to celebrate!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Commanding But true. An Apple TV will suit you better than a smart tv. You will realize that your "smart tv" wasn't that smart after all.

Agreed!!!! I just purchased an  TV Friday & I absolutely love it. I have a Smart tv that was produced not even a full year ago and while it's nice it's not as seamless & it's pretty clunky. I've owned Samsung smart tvs since they were introduced & I wish I had picked up an  TV a lot sooner. Go for it

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed!!!! I just purchased an  TV Friday & I absolutely love it. I have a Smart tv that was produced not even a full year ago and while it's nice it's not as seamless & it's pretty clunky. I've owned Samsung smart tvs since they were introduced & I wish I had picked up an  TV a lot sooner. Go for it

The clunky interfaces built into some of these devices drive me crazy. Maybe I'm jaded because Apple focuses so much on creating a smooth experience but it's clear to me that many of these device makers add "smart" interfaces simply to be able to advertise their devices as "smart".

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well everyone - I am the proud owner of an Apple TV!! Happy Early Birthday to me haha. The interface and usability really is amazing. I've got most of my streaming services setup. I'm not planning on using it for games since I have dedicated consoles but if anyone has streaming app recommendations, please let me know!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well everyone - I am the proud owner of an Apple TV!! Happy Early Birthday to me haha. The interface and usability really is amazing. I've got most of my streaming services setup. I'm not planning on using it for games since I have dedicated consoles but if anyone has streaming app recommendations, please let me know!

Good choice. Enjoy your Apple TV and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. We're here for you.