Apple TV or one of the "other guys"?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok so we are Apple fan do we go with Apple TV 3rd or 4th gen OR do we go for 1 of the other guys such as Amazon Fire TV (or Stick), Roku, Android TV, Chromecast, etc? Me I'm kind of insane. I have a smart TV with apps, a 3rd gen Apple TV, 2 Rokus, a Fire TV box, 2 Fire TV sticks, a Xiaomi Mi Box Android TV, AND a Vizio CoStar Google TV. So basically I have everything! I owned a Chromecast in the past but I traded it for a Fire Stick.

What about you guys?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My smart tv is from 2011, so that's not actually something I'm using a lot.

I bought an TV 4th gen 64GB last January because I wanted something more than just my Watch and iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold.
I've set my eyes on an iPad next.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, go with the product that's part of whatever ecosystem you're invested in the most. With me, it's Apple, and therefore, the TV is what I chose.

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I had a Roku 2 but recently switched to the 4th gen Apple TV and I love it. MY DH is using a Roku 3, but is considering switching as well.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I dumped 3 Apple TV 2nd Gens well over a year ago and run 3 my gigca android boxes in the home. Actually I just updated those in the past 3 months to newer versions

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
May 2, 2017
Visit site
We have two of the Apple TV 4th gen a,d love them. We cur cable a long time back (when appleTV Gen 2 came out) and do not miss it at all. Like other folks have said if you have a lot of iTunes stuff then the apple TV is a no brainer, with the 4th gen you can add Plex to it so it really does meet our needs.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be a bit before I cut the cable , even with improvements in Iptv..there is still a lot of work to be done

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Cut cable today because I realized I really don't watch it since I use apps for everything. Have a Samsung Smart TV (2016) but just bought a 4th gen Apple TV a couple hours ago. I went to Amazon Books before I went in Apple but not all apps are available on the Fire TV...same goes for the smart tv too plus I have a lot of movies I love in my iTunes account. I'm about to try Hulu Live & Directv Now to see which one I like better. Any suggestions y'all have for this newbie will be greatly appreciated

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Cut cable today because I realized I really don't watch it since I use apps for everything. Have a Samsung Smart TV (2016) but just bought a 4th gen Apple TV a couple hours ago. I went to Amazon Books before I went in Apple but not all apps are available on the Fire TV...same goes for the smart tv too plus I have a lot of movies I love in my iTunes account. I'm about to try Hulu Live & Directv Now to see which one I like better. Any suggestions y'all have for this newbie will be greatly appreciated

Congrats on the new Apple TV! It's easy to use so not a lot of tips there but I would get a Griffin cover for the remote. Makes it easier to hold! And protects against drops. The remote itself is like $80 to replace, though you can use your phone with the remote app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Congrats on the new Apple TV! It's easy to use so not a lot of tips there but I would get a Griffin cover for the remote. Makes it easier to hold! And protects against drops. The remote itself is like $80 to replace, though you can use your phone with the remote app.

Thank you!! I doubt if I get a cover but I love that there are options. My kids are on their own, so it's just me in my bachelorette pad♥️♥️ & I'm pretty careful with my stuff!!

Edit: a sleek leather case might change my mind though

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Apple TV or one of the "other guys"?

Thank you!! I doubt if I get a cover but I love that there are options. My kids are on their own, so it's just me in my bachelorette pad♥️♥️ & I'm pretty careful with my stuff!!

Edit: a sleek leather case might change my mind though

lol
Never seen leather but you know I wouldn't be surprised to see one!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

A little late to the party here. I am in Apples ecosystem pretty heavily when it comes to devices. I have my iPhone 6 and a 4th gen Apple TV.
And I have a good movie collection on iTunes.
So I am very happy where I am with them.
Eventually I want to invest in a MacBook to give me more flexibility with my iPhone.
Being a Prime member I am also pretty much invested with Amazon.
I currently have a Fire HD 8 tablet.
You get a lot of perks with a Prime membership.
And I have been building my movie collection with them also.
Between iTunes and Amazon, I go with who is cheapest for movies, or what platform it is available on.
Since there is no Apple TV app, I have a Fire Stick TV coming from Amazon.
That way I can stream my movies on the big screen, without having to deal with Air Play.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice