DirecTV Now vs Sling TV vs Hulu vs ???

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What's your favorite streaming service for local/cable channels?

I've got Hulu and use it for reruns (Seinfeld!) or shows I've missed, but interested in their live service they're working on. Tried DirecTV Now and couldn't quite get used to how it worked. Never tried Sling but think I may need to try it.

Trying to figure out how to get out of my monthly DirecTV bill and save some money, but not sure if ease-of-use outweighs cost at this point.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hulu and the rest are a little bit apples and oranges only because Hulu doesn't currently offer live content. That said, I use DirecTV Now and it's starting to grow on me. I get my local FSN channel for my Tigers games and my subscription also includes HBO.

For local content, DirecTV Now is limited to Fox (live and streaming) and ABC (streaming only in my area). I'm hoping that they up their local offerings in the near future.

YouTube just launched a live streaming service that's supposed to include more local content and Hulu has reported that they're launching a live service in the next few months that's supposed to have a ton of local stuff. I think the next few months are going to be quite telling.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hulu's live service is what got me thinking again... curious to see how it shakes out. If it's cheap enough maybe it supplements another service. Guess we will see.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using SlingTV (both orange & blue subscription) for a while now, and really like it. Having said that, it has recently started having minor streaming issues. For example, I could be watching a game on its ESPN channel then all of a sudden, the screen will be blank with a spinning orange circle displayed on the screen, however, if I switch over to the WatchESPN channel that is signed in via Sling, all is well. Note: This typically occurs via my TV so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I started a free trial of PlayStation Vue a few days ago. I like it. It is more expensive than Sling or DirecTV Now. But the features and channels available, for me, made it the best for me. You can pause and rewind live TV on all channels, and unlimited cloud DVR service that goes back 28 days. Only issue I have is a slight moment of buffering when I first tune to a channel. But that may just be my internet connection.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I cut the chord with cable about 2 years ago, I bought a Amazon Fire box and installed XBMX on it... But I do have Netflix and love it so much... But I don't have a crazy cable/dtv bill anymore.. It's working out great for me!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We only have internet. So for streaming we use Netflix, Hulu and Prime through our Roku 3. It works for us! Our TV is digital, which enables us to catch local tv stations via an antenna.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Out of everything I have tried, Playstation Vue was the best for me. I've actually been beta testing Hulu's live TV service for a while and it's cool. I typically just use free trials with these services because I just can't justify paying for any of them because I hardly watch live TV.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Out of everything I have tried, Playstation Vue was the best for me. I've actually been beta testing Hulu's live TV service for a while and it's cool. I typically just use free trials with these services because I just can't justify paying for any of them because I hardly watch live TV.

Cool, can't wait to try the live streaming from Hulu!

guyver510

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
YouTube TV looks interesting, especially since it carries all of the standard broadcast channels. However, it's missing a lot of cable stations I've gotten used to having on DTV Now, like TNT. Also, being an Apple family, I'm not converting everything over to Google just for TV. It only works w/ ChromeCast and Chrome browsers. Personally I really like my AppleTV.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
YouTube TV looks interesting, especially since it carries all of the standard broadcast channels. However, it's missing a lot of cable stations I've gotten used to having on DTV Now, like TNT. Also, being an Apple family, I'm not converting everything over to Google just for TV. It only works w/ ChromeCast and Chrome browsers. Personally I really like my AppleTV.

Good info -- thanks!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I noticed the lack of Apple TV support. Apparently they're working on it though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR