How powerful is the current Apple TV?

Nocticis

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Hardware?
How powerful is the hardware itself? Obviously no PS4 or Xbox One, but it like a Nintendo Switch? Or maybe it's more comparable to an older console, like a Wii or 64?

Software?
Despite being out powered by something like a PS4, what sort of services could it offer to gaming developers and what experiences could this device generate?

For example. Destiny, by Bungie, can be played on the PS4 and an Xbox One, but can't be played on a Nintendo Switch. Could it be replicated on an Apple TV? What are some realistic games that could be played on this product, that came from a more so built for traditional gaming consoles?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The TV is first and foremost a streaming device with the capability to allow for the playing of various games. It is not a dedicated gaming console like the PS4 and XBox, and therefore not as powerful, in my opinion. Anyway, hopefully other members will offer their opinions soon.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to compare the Apple TV to a PS4 or XBOX One for gaming purposes you're going to be awfully disappointed. Just like @Just_Me_D said, Apple TV is a streaming device above all else. It doesn't have nearly the graphics capabilities of a gaming console and won't be supporting Destiny, COD, or any other graphics intensive games anytime soon. Not to mention, the Apple TV is capped at 64 GB of internal storage. Considering PS4 games can take up 12 or more GB of space for just one game, that's not nearly enough storage. I've already upgraded my PS4 hard drive to 1 TB because 500 GB doesn't go very far.

If I had to compare graphics performance to a gaming console I'd measure it up to an original XBOX or maybe a PS2.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It has the A8 SoC, so performance is equivalent to an iPhone 6 or iPad Mini 4.

I would guess the A8 performs slightly better in the Apple TV because it's not running off of a battery and has a little bit more room to play with in terms of thermals.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox