What do you use your Apple TV for?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have two 4th generation Apple TVs in my household and they are used literally every day. I cut the cord and switched to all streaming television a few months back and they have transformed into the central entertainment hubs in my home. DirecTV Now, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Showtime and--of course--iTunes are some of my most used apps.

I'm curious to know what everyone does with the Apple TVs. Are you consuming TV and movies like me or are you doing something else like gaming? What are your favorite apps?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I use my Apple TV for movies I own, Netflix, HBO now, AMC, and recently I installed the KODI app. Kodi worked good for a couple weeks then stopped working. I tried to reinstall it but with no luck, so I gave up for now.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have two 4th gen 32gb Apple TVs both mainly for Netflix, Apple Music and iTunes content but I do also use HomeKit devices so they have become the remote hub for that as well.

They are also really good for Airplay when I want to show a few people content from iPad and iPhone as well as the kids homework (which is online) so they think it's fun and not a chore.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I use mine for movies I've purchased, streaming services, Airplay and iTunes. Most of the time I just start iTunes music and let the screen saver come on. On a 70" tv it makes the neighbors jealous. :)

Last edited:

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Podcasts, Netflix, YouTube, and AirPlay (for movie files and Amazon Prime). That's really about it. Maybe some Bloomberg, CNN, or ABC News here and there.

Note: I have a 3rd gen Apple TV and a PS2 (for DVDs) hooked up to a 32". That's it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
SlingTV (Blue + Orange + Sports Extras, Hulu, Netflix, WatchESPN as well as streaming audio via Music on occasion.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I have 4 apple tv's. 1 ATV4, 2 ATV 3 and the original 160gb ATV1.
We all use the ATV4 for Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and some of the regular network channels. I have Directv but the only reason I really keep it is because it lowers my internet bill to have it lol. 1 ATV3 is in my son's room and he listens to music and watches YouTube religiously. The other is in my room and I blast my music as well. along with watching movies (my current movie library is 357). And my original beast.... holds all of my ripped DVD's for the past 10+ years.... I pretty much keep it for nostalgia purposes or whenever I'm in the mood to conveniently fry an egg :p

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an Apple TV 2. I use it to watch TV shows and movies purchased from iTunes or movies i get elsewhere.

I really don't use anything else other then maybe Netflix once every few months.

I've thought of buying the latest ATV but I don't care about apps. I have a smart TV and don't even use the apps on it, it's just a TV to me. I'll most likely use my ATV2 until it stops working.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have two 4th generation Apple TVs in my household and they are used literally every day. I cut the cord and switched to all streaming television a few months back and they have transformed into the central entertainment hubs in my home. DirecTV Now, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Showtime and--of course--iTunes are some of my most used apps.

I'm curious to know what everyone does with the Apple TVs. Are you consuming TV and movies like me or are you doing something else like gaming? What are your favorite apps?

I don't have that much free time. Oh, wait.
I use it mostly for streaming Music and when friends are over for watching movies.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't support 4K so I don't use it for Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon video. I mostly just use it for my movie library. Or you can say my sons movie library. I do use it on occasion for Apple Music.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't support 4K so I don't use it for Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon video. I mostly just use it for my movie library. Or you can say my sons movie library. I do use it on occasion for Apple Music.

I don't have a 4K television so I'm not bothered by the Apple TV not supporting it....yet. I'm starting to shop for a 4K for the family room so it's only a matter of time until watching in 1080p becomes a limiting factor.

I watched a few minutes of House of Cards in 4K at a buddy's house a few months back. What a difference!

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a 4K television so I'm not bothered by the Apple TV not supporting it....yet. I'm starting to shop for a 4K for the family room so it's only a matter of time until watching in 1080p becomes a limiting factor.

I watched a few minutes of House of Cards in 4K at a buddy's house a few months back. What a difference!

They're going to need content for 4K as well. How that will turn into fees is the question. Charging to upgrade a library may push people away, especially after doing it to customers once not that long ago. Or could an Apple TV up-scale a movie like they do for DVDs?

You know, usually I see Apple's broad platform as a good thing, but it makes it hard to add 4K support if they don't have content. In fact, it encourages customers to buy from other stores… which could give Amazon a reason to (finally) make an app.

But ya, it will be awhile before we are using our Apple TVs for 4K content.

By the way, just discovered I can look up movie times on my Apple TV 3rd gen. I'll be using that going forward. (I knew about the weather, but I don't really use that too often.)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We have two. A 64 GB and 32 GB. Mostly used for Apple TV movies, and some Netflix, Hulu, and occasionally some YouTube. We do have some games on there but don't use them very much. Also some other apps, but those also get in frequent use.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
DirecTV Now, WatchESPN Netflix, Disney Jr. for the kids are really the only ones I need. Don't miss cable whatsoever.

I'm currently in a 1 month trial if DirectTVNow and I'm loving it!!! Won't be able to fully cut the cable until September and then I'll just grab an antenna for local.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro