iTunes playing movies in stereo instead of PCM

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I went to play a movie I own in iTunes on my Apple TV 4 and it played in stereo (PCM) instead of 5.1 audio. I then tried other movies and they nearly all played in stereo. The only exceptions were two movies which played 7.1 audio. I tried Netflix and HBO and both played 5.1 audio, so there's something wrong with iTunes.

Here's where it gets even weirder. Even the previews play in stereo in iTunes, but if I search for a movie and play the preview from the search page it plays in 5.1 audio. If I then select open in iTunes and select preview there it almost always plays stereo. The trailers app also always plays stereo.

As such it appears that no movies or TV shows in iTunes have a 5.1 audio track. I've checked and none of the movies I tested have alternate audio. The movies I tested used to play in 5.1 audio, but don't anymore.

I checked the following movies which all played in stereo: Avengers, Zootopia (plays 5.1 in Netflix), Jaws, Jurassic World and Capitan America Civil War. These movies played 7.1 audio: Wreck-it Ralph and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I found someone reporting the same problem in the following link, but no one else reporting this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7867404

Is anyone else having this problem?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Someone found a fix for this. Go into the iTunes Movie and TV Shows settings under Settings -> Apps and disable quick start. That not only fixes this problem but also the problem with foreign language audio tracks no longer appearing.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm unable to test out your issue as I only have a 2.1 receiver. However I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bug or oversight in the on Apple's part. The TV app is an absolute mess no matter what platform it's on.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm unable to test out your issue as I only have a 2.1 receiver. However I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bug or oversight in the on Apple's part. The TV app is an absolute mess no matter what platform it's on.

Actually the issue is that TV and movies aren't including any alternate audio tracks if quick start is enabled. That means no 5.1/7.1 audio and no foreign language tracks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711