Buy or wait

quiksetz

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone heard any rumors if there will be a new Apple TV released with the new phones? I'm wanting to buy an Apple TV but also don't want to be upset with a new being released a little after I buy one. Now that I think about it, hardware wise there really can't be much more to be done to improve it correct? It will get the operating system updates and get the job done. What would you all suggest?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard any rumors if there will be a new Apple TV released with the new phones? I'm wanting to buy an Apple TV but also don't want to be upset with a new being released a little after I buy one. Now that I think about it, hardware wise there really can't be much more to be done to improve it correct? It will get the operating system updates and get the job done. What would you all suggest?

Not really sure about the hardware part but there will be a new OS announced for some of the existing tv's. This close into the game I would probably wait since the announcement is about 2 weeks away.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
With Apple's current cycle for Apple TV it's less likely they will announce a new gen come September.

But wait anyway to be sure.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't hurt to wait, it's not too far away, but there hasn't been rumors of a new gen Apple TV but maybe a software update.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if anything new is on the horizon, but the Apple TV you buy today is great and not very expensive. I wouldn't wait... I would jump on the current one... Best of luck in your choice and let us know which way you go

cunningbrad

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I wouldn't think they would update the AppleTv hardware again for sometime. Not a lot of people are clambering to get a new type of AppleTv like they are the iPhone or iPad. At this time the only thing AppleTv is missing is 4K. Most of us in the world don't have a 4K tv just yet. So why should Apple raise their prices or reduce the profit margins on a device to integrate a technology that most people don't have on their tvs at this time?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt Apple will introduce a new TV this year so with in mind, I recommend you get the latest model now (TV 4th generation).

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for "not likely" to be a new one. If you need it now and can get a good price, go ahead and grab it. If you can wait, couldn't hurt but I think you'll be missing out on enjoying it in the meantime :)

mikepas

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Last weekend Best Buy had a sale where the 64GB Apple TV was the same regular price as the 32GB so I grabbed one. Getting the 64GB version for the same price as the 32GB version was pretty much a no-brainer.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Last weekend Best Buy had a sale where the 64GB Apple TV was the same regular price as the 32GB so I grabbed one. Getting the 64GB version for the same price as the 32GB version was pretty much a no-brainer.

I have one of each. The 64gb was great for games like Disney Infinity with a lot of downloaded content (I say "was" because Disney canceled the game already!). So far the 32gb is sufficient for just streaming. Getting the 64gb for the same price is a great deal and you're right, a "no-brainer"!

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know if Apple is going to launch a new Apple TV. And I've heard nothing. But if you don't want to be upset to buy it right now and then they release a new generation of the Apple TV I recommend you to wait till September and see what they have for us. If they launch a new Apple TV go ahead man and get it. If not, buy the current models available.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Also agree that it's unlikely to see any update, given the multi year periods in between releases in the past. That said, I'm holding back until after the announcement, just in case they reference a minor update. I've held back on AppleTV because of the lack of live TV (over the air) support, but now that Plex has a DVR capability and I can use InstaTV or Channels to playback live tv (from my HD HomeRun network tuner).......I can at last replace the Windows Media Centre box that has been delivering this functionality (yet with a few frustrations for the family).

So i'll be likely posting here for some help over the next few weeks, thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner