Which Apple TV For My Mom?

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone! My mom just canceled her cable and wants to just use an Apple TV to stream Netflix and other TV and Movie apps. I have a 4th gen 64gb Apple TV at my house but am thinking that would be too much for her. I am unsure if I should get her the older 3rd gen model or the 32gb 4th gen model. I have never owned the 3rd gen so its hard for me to have an opinion on it. It would be awesome to save some money on the older model if possible... but if its not worth it, I need to know. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! My mom just canceled her cable and wants to just use an Apple TV to stream Netflix and other TV and Movie apps. I have a 4th gen 64gb Apple TV at my house but am thinking that would be too much for her. I am unsure if I should get her the older 3rd gen model or the 32gb 4th gen model. I have never owned the 3rd gen so its hard for me to have an opinion on it. It would be awesome to save some money on the older model if possible... but if its not worth it, I need to know. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Congrats to her on cutting the cable!!! I actually have both the 3rd and 4th gen. My personal opinion after using both is that unless she really wants to engage in using apps or siri on the 4th gen, she would be happy with the 3rd. I have my 4th in my living room and my kids use the games on it. I have the 3rd in my bedroom and use it for Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and of course my iTunes library.
Also, there are really good prices on the 3rd gen at the moment. You can get an Apple refurb for $59. Shop Refurbished Apple TV - Apple Certified, 1-Year Warranty - Apple

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tough for me to compare since I only own the 3rd gen. It's a great device, BUT you no live TV options, you need a 4th gen for that. HOWEVER, you can get channels that allow for watching video on demand, like Watch ESPN, TNT, Crackle, Hulu, Netflix, Fox, FX, HGTV, etc (Disney for when the gandkids are over). HOWEVER with the 4th gen she would get a LOT more including options for live TV like SlingTV (extra monthly fee), or Slingbox (need equipment which must be installed at someoneelse's house who HAS cable)

Plus sonny (or daughtery???) can always help mom learn the newer model. ;) Plus the grands if they are old enough!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

This all depends on what you mean by "other TV" apps? I'd say that if the 3rd gen covers you in that area then you're better off buying the 3rd gen for her. At this point I'm not recommending the 4th gen to people because I quite frankly don't think it is worth the price tag that Apple has put on it. I own one because it was a gift and I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. Unless you find a 4th gen at a discount, just get her the 3rd gen if it covers the basics you need it to cover.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
If its just for netflix and streaming stuff from an iphone or ipad to tv, then a 3rd generation would be more than enough. This one also comes with quite a bit of apps, so depending of what she uses, it could be enough.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
that's awesome that she cut out the cable. In my opinion, i'm not sure how tech savvy your mom is, but seeing from experience, the 4th gen Apple TV is great because they don't have to do much moving around within the Apple TV and can always just talk to it, I've seen this be super helpful for people that don't have the patience or just "don't feel like learning, just put on this show/movie for me" lol.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Another good voice option is the FireTV or FireTV Stick with Voice remote (or via your iPhone or Android phone).

(I actually have both a FireTV, several, AND an Apple TV, 3rd Gen, OH and a Roku, yea yea I'm crazy like that! lol)

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Another good voice option is the FireTV or FireTV Stick with Voice remote (or via your iPhone or Android phone).

(I actually have both a FireTV, several, AND an Apple TV, 3rd Gen, OH and a Roku, yea yea I'm crazy like that! lol)

Yea, she is definitely wanting to stick with Apple!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2