Does the Apple TV require a wifi connection for airplay?

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a limited data connection at home. It is however unmetered between the hours 12am-5pm. I'm thinking of buying an Apple TV strictly for airplay purposes. I can download movies and tv shows using Amazon Prime on my iPad during the unmetered hours and use airplay to watch them when convenient. My idea would be to block traffic to the internet using my router for the Apple TV (except maybe during the middle of the night). I just need to make sure that the Apple TV will allow airplay to function normally without an active internet connection.

Thanks for any help!

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You can do it, depending on your equipment. See this help doc for more info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

According to the link it says "Make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If you want to stream iTunes Store content, you also need an Internet connection" . If I'm using a peer to peer connection I'm guessing as long as wifi is turned on to the Apple TV (but blocked from accessing the Internet) that will be enough to accomplish what I want it to do?

Due to the limited data I have no plans on streaming any content from the Internet but want to be able to use AirPlay for what I described above and be able to share photos and family videos from my Mac or iPad on occasion also.

I did Google leaving the Apple TV connected all of the time but apparently it uses a lot of data even in standby downloading updates ect with no way of controlling it. At least from what I read. I had originally thought as long as I didn't attempt to stream anything it wouldn't use any data (sort of like my other Apple devices).

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
My ATV 3 is hard wired, and not connected to the wifi network, yet it still air plays. Is it setting up an ad hoc with my device, or is it as I always assumed, that my wifi device is connected to the router and then it is routed to the ATV via hard wire ??? Or did my iPad/ iPhone tell it the wifi password like they sometimes do with each other, and it does connect via wifi when using AirPlay or mirroring ?

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't get airplay to work. It will work just fine, quickly and easily, with the photos app. I can play videos and display pictures easily. I can't get any video to play from iTunes or the Amazon instant video app. I've tried with the internet turned on and with it turned off. It simply won't "stream" the video. I can get mirroring to work but it isn't full screen of course (making it a no go for movies and tv shows).

Anyone have any ideas?

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So a little more investigation, I can stream videos from the amazon app to the Apple TV. Anything I've downloaded for offline viewing doesn't work. Airplay should just send the video signal to my TV, why it has an issue with downloaded shows I'm not sure. Due to my aforementioned internet issues I hadn't attempted to stream anything, just Airplay the downloaded content.