New to ATV, Are purchased content downloaded or streamed?

kevinvn

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hallo.
I recently got an ATV 4th Gen, 64Gb.

My purchased movies tell me " 1 hour till ready ... " but I want to watch now so I go to something else assuming it'll download in the background.

I'll then watch somethimg on a streaming App like Netflix and this works fine.

When I go back the the TV Show or Movie purchased on the ATV it still says " x hours or minutes till ready".

I do not want to airplay the content from another iDevice I want the ATV to have it available for whole family to watch anytime.

I have search this forum a bit but think that because I new I'm not sure what to ask or jargon to search for. Any help and advice appreciated.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hallo.
I recently got an ATV 4th Gen, 64Gb.

My purchased movies tell me " 1 hour till ready ... " but I want to watch now so I go to something else assuming it'll download in the background.

I'll then watch somethimg on a streaming App like Netflix and this works fine.

When I go back the the TV Show or Movie purchased on the ATV it still says " x hours or minutes till ready".

I do not want to airplay the content from another iDevice I want the ATV to have it available for whole family to watch anytime.

I have search this forum a bit but think that because I new I'm not sure what to ask or jargon to search for. Any help and advice appreciated.

Apple Tv movies do not download they stream , the apps however do download.
in the past i have solved this by using 8.8.8.8 as my dns server in wifi settings

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
When you purchase a movie from iTunes, you can either go to the Movies/Purchased area on your Apple TV and select it to stream directly from the iTunes server over your Internet connection, or your can go to iTunes on your Mac, and download it locally to your iTunes Media folder. With Home Sharing turned on in iTunes, your Apple TV will see it over your local network, and you can stream it from your local hard drive.

With your "X hours or minutes until ready" message, it appears you're trying to stream it directly to your Apple TV from Apple's servers, vice locally over your LAN from your Mac's hard drive. In that case, you must leave the buffering message on screen while your Internet connection permits enough of the movie to be downloaded into the Apple TV's memory to start playing. This is very much dependent on the speed of your Internet connection, or on the responsiveness of Apple's iTunes servers.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple Tv movies do not download they stream , the apps however do download.
in the past i have solved this by using 8.8.8.8 as my dns server in wifi settings

I would also use 8.8.4.4 as secondary DNS. I used Google's DNS servers for a long time because they were ridiculously fast but recently stopped because they were bogging down quite a bit. I may go back though if I start having issues with my ISP's DNS servers again.
Sounds like OP's internet service provider was just having issues or he/she has slow service.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What speeds are we talking about? I only have a 15/15 connection and get the 1 hour message from time to time but it always drops down to minutes quickly.

I had 15mbps internet at one point too and it generally worked. Anything slower than that I can see having issues though, especially streaming in HD.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had 15mbps internet at one point too and it generally worked. Anything slower than that I can see having issues though, especially streaming in HD.

Works for us, but with the oldest getting a small smart TV for her room for Christmas (she loves Netflix), I can see needing to upgrade ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner