Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

9 Posts

Default Terrible ATV4 iTunes movies and trailer buffering

Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer all working fine on a 1 Gbps FTTH connection with ATV4 on latest firmware but Apple trailers, iTunes movies, etc., have AWFUL buffering problems. And a movie download can take 9 or 10 hours. True network speeds test out at between 500 and 700 Mbps up and down.
    Did not happen with ATV2 or 3.
    Anyone seeing this too?
    iMore Nanite

6 Posts

Default Re: Terrible ATV4 iTunes movies and trailer buffering

I can see some buffering on trailers,but not on itunes movies.And download is fast.You have some issues with Network,it seems.
    iMore Intermediate

368 Posts

I had some buffering issues with locally saved iTunes purchased movies Home Sharing from my Mac to my new Apple TV prior to the latest tvOS update, but after the update they play fine. What happens now is that the name of the movie pops up on the screen while the movie buffers to start. Once it starts, it plays smoothly.

I have a 30mbps down connection, which is more than enough to play anything today. Since Internet online streaming appears to be working fine for some sources, the problem must either be local or on Apple's servers. Try streaming locally stored movies from your local Home Sharing source to other devices on your network, such as another computer, iPhone, or iPad to confirm that. If those work fine, it's not the Apple TV. Over the holidays the iTunes servers are probably being slammed. Try at different times over several days to see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, you'll know it was the servers.
    iMore Intermediate

178 Posts

If you're running wired, try wireless. My AT4 was wonky on the wire but is flawless over 802.11ac.