Is there a way to turn off Apple TV (4th Gen)?

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off Apple TV (4th Gen)? There is an option of ?Sleep? only. If I press Sleep and then unplug the power cord, will it be fine? Would it harm my Apple TV? I find unplugging the power cord the only way to turn off Apple TV.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off Apple TV (4th Gen)? There is an option of “Sleep” only. If I press Sleep and then unplug the power cord, will it be fine? Would it harm my Apple TV? I find unplugging the power cord the only way to turn off Apple TV.

i have mine set to sleep after 15 min and it turns off after that..
i do not really see a reason to unplug it

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
There is no off switch for the Apple TV. You can only put it in sleep mode, which will turn off associated CEC compatible devices, such as TVs or receivers.

The Apple TV serves as a gateway for HomeKit devices and is designed to wake on network commands, so if you use those you definitely won't want to pull the power cord.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off Apple TV (4th Gen)? There is an option of ?Sleep? only. If I press Sleep and then unplug the power cord, will it be fine? Would it harm my Apple TV? I find unplugging the power cord the only way to turn off Apple TV.

Yes, if you unplug your TV (4th Gen) after putting it in sleep mode, it'll be fine. I turn off the power strip that houses the plugs for my home entertainment, cable modem, Airport Extreme and my TV every night.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I let mine go to sleep and turn off the tv. Then when I want to use it I just tap the ATV remote, the Apple TV comes on and then my tv powers on from HDMI input fro the Apple TV.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I let mine go to sleep and turn off the tv. Then when I want to use it I just tap the ATV remote, the Apple TV comes on and then my tv powers on from HDMI input fro the Apple TV.

This. Don't worry about it -- the device is designed to run the way it does. :)

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Well, you could do what I do: my surger protector turns off other devices when I turn off my TV.

Note that I also use my TV remote to control my Apple TV, *but* I have a 3rd gen: no Siri. I also turned off auto updates: no apps, so not a big deal. (I don't have any HomeKit compatible devices, obviously.)

http://m.sears.com/belkin-conserve-smart-av-trade-auto-off-surge-protector/p-018W031979740001P

So, while you could turn off all auto updates (security problem), skip using Siri, forgo HomeKit, and find that surge protector (discontinued), would it be worth it for the 4th gen?

I leave that to you to decide.

(I will say that the Apple TV 3rd gen automatically comes on when I turn on mu TV, which takes a moment but is kind of neat. And I have one remote to rule them all. :D)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW