What can I get on Apple TV without paying more?

Mercule

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm considering getting an Apple TV, but I'm not sure it actually gives me what I want.

I cut the cord a couple years ago. I have no intention of going back, so anything that requires a cable account is ludicrous, IMO. I already have a TiVo and a PS3, so apps like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Video are already at my disposal.

What I really want is something that lets me catch a show missed due to occasional bad weather, a bit of news (Fox, preferably), and the occasional "household fare" like Food Network shows, HGTV, Discovery, whatever. The last is nice-to-have. The first two are more important. I've been really annoyed that all the presidential debates have been held on cable channels, this year.

Being able to throw on a TV a video from an app on my phone or maybe even a game would be great, but still in the nice to have.

FWIW, the other contenders are a Roku or just a Miracast dongle for my Surface.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The biggest difference between the AppleTV and other streaming devices is functionality, especially when it comes to apps. As of now, it's the only device with an App Store, making it possible to expand its functionality past what usually comes preinstalled on these types of devices.
For cord cutters, the limitations are the same as what you would experience on any other streaming device. Most services require a subscription or validation through an existing cable or satellite provider.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
there are a few free movie apps that can be watched without having an existing provider as mentioned above

Crackle is free

Youtube

as well as a host of other small viewing channels

Mercule

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. I think I'll continue to hold off until tech catches up with cord-cutters. Sounds like the devices I already have do most of what I want.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, all. I think I'll continue to hold off until tech catches up with cord-cutters. Sounds like the devices I already have do most of what I want.

Just give it some time. It'll happen. There have been credible rumors of Apple launching a streaming television service but they had to scrap it for the time being because of issues working out deals with the networks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the service to launch in 2016. Again, these are just rumors but they have all seemed pretty solid IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2