Can I stream movies from iTunes on the Apple TV?

I

iMore Question

I have a dozen or so movies that I purchased in iTunes, will I be able to watch these movies on the Apple TV?

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
While this is how I have historically viewed movies on my Apple TV, preferring to download once from Apple's servers then stream from iTunes on my local iMac, there appears to be an issue with some of the new Apple TVs (4th gen) that results in stuttering/short pauses with downloaded purchased iTunes movies.

I spent a couple of hours today diagnosing this issue with AppleCare. In the end, we confirmed streaming directly from Apple's servers works just fine. However, some of the movies I previously watched successfully with my Apple TV (3rd gen) now regularly stutter when I attempt to watch them with the new Apple TV. We confirmed I wasn't having a bandwidth issue on my local network, and narrowed the issue to the new Apple TV itself. Why there's a buffering issue playing a movie from a local iMac, but not directly from Apple's servers is a puzzle. When I played these same movies to my old Apple TV today, they played fine.

Apple is sending me a replacement, and gave me a contact to escalate the issue to their engineers if the replacement doesn't resolve the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2