Apple TV 4th Gen: Netflix - Subtitles always on by default... can't change

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Subtittles are off on my Apple TV 4th gen in the settings. And for any other form of video (apple movies, tv shows, youtube, news, etc) it's fine, but for some reason, the Netflix app has subtitles on by default. I need to turn them off manually every time I start watching something on Netflix (once off it does stay off when it goes from one episode to the next in a series). There's no setting in the Netflix app to alter it that I can find. Restarting the ATV doesn't help. It's only Netflix. Double checked the Apple Settings itself - subtitles/closed captioning is off, so it's a Netflix app thing from what I can tell.

Anyone else encounter this? Never had this issue on my 3rd gen ATV.

??? :confused:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sure there is and that's what I do. It just keeps defaulting back to on the next time I go into Netflix.

malteroesch

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue using Netflix in Apple TV 4 in Germany.
Have been on their hotline for about an hour with no results whatsoever.
Have you had any luck solving this problem so far?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
No luck so far. Still an issue. I noticed it was doing it even going from episode to episode yesterday (watching Blacklist series).

malteroesch

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
It appears to be the case only for some content.
Whilst Netflix Originals Productions and Movies do have subtitles enabled by default, I was able to watch Prison Break and Modern Family without subtitles enabled.
Strange behaviour..

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Oops I made a topic on this without seeing this but same thing happens to me subtitles are on by default and when I turn them off they turn on the next episode or next movie I guess Netflix needs to update the apps

aiekon

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue. My netflix account kept defaulting to the Spanish interface (when viewing through Apple Tv and/or the netflix website). I thought someone had hacked my account, changed my password and signed out of all devices. Everything is fine now EXCEPT I'm seeing Spanish subtitles each time I'm watching something on netflix.

mfigaro

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue using Netflix in Apple TV 4 in Germany.
Have been on their hotline for about an hour with no results whatsoever.
Have you had any luck solving this problem so far?

I had the same problem. It was driving me nuts. Try to swipe down to show the above navigational bar while watching any movie, select subtitles, then double click on off...try also to keep subtitles off for 5 seconds. After that, change movie and see if it worked. It did for me!!! Let me know please :)

andrewtbaker

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. I contacted Netflix. Here is what they said:

"No worries I am here so we fix this together, to remove that all you need is to play a title in a computer for 8 straight minutes without subtitles, that way the viewing preferences will be saved and will not appear with subtitles again"

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. I contacted Netflix. Here is what they said:

"No worries I am here so we fix this together, to remove that all you need is to play a title in a computer for 8 straight minutes without subtitles, that way the viewing preferences will be saved and will not appear with subtitles again"

That's odd! But if it works, it's a good tidbit.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't do any of that but the subtitles are now NOT on by default! Yay!

Been watching Jessica Jones :)

mfigaro

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. It was driving me nuts. Try to swipe down to show the above navigational bar while watching any movie, select subtitles, then double click on off...try also to keep subtitles off for 5 seconds. After that, change movie and see if it worked. It did for me!!! Let me know please :)

It worked for some time now subtitles are back on as default. I tried also to play a movie for more then 8 minutes from a laptop...didn't work either :(

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem called netflix they had me log out of all my devices I watch netflix on and they did a reset on there end and now everything works again.

oadslug

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Just recently started to experience the 'subtitles on by default' issue with other apps as well, including CNN Go, FX Now, and Netflix (possibly others as well, haven't been keeping close track). Seems somewhat intermittent as well ? if I force restart the ATV, the issue seems to go away for a bit, then reappears. I'm guessing this may be an ATV issue vs any particular app.

Also, keep in mind that you can use Siri to disable subtitles (i.e. "subtitles off") ? a bit faster than swiping down and hunting for the 'off' option.

John Schur

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Subtitles on my AppleTV4 are on by default. For example, I start an episode of a TV show and the subtitles are on; I turn them off; then, when I start the next episode, they're back on again. I see this behavior on both Netflix and Hulu. It's very frustrating. I never saw this with my Apple TV2.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner