Time to unplug it, put it back in the box,send it away
and plugin my Apple TV 3

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Who thinks the Apple TV is Junk

To each his/her own. I own three TVs and they all work great. My only disdain for the new one is that it isn't yet supported by Remote app.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who thinks the Apple TV is Junk

Same as above , just because you have tech difficulties doesn't mean it's junk it just means you are having issues. Maybe if you post some more details we someone can help you get it working.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

If it's the country selection section your having issues with select United States and ur golden

mlg321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

One of mine was DOA, and apparently the supervisors "first Apple TV 4" return after they couldn't troubleshoot. He was just as clueless on the return process, I opted for dropping it off at UPS and once they get notification a new one gets shipped out. Whatever ended up happening, they are sending me a box and won't send me a new one until they have it.

Paulvcarter

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

It's not junk but it's buggy - mone needs to restart each time before it finds the internet - which is plugged in - not even WIFI.

It will get better....

Ludatyk

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

That, and where's the built-in Podcast app?

That, and I wish it had background app support such as audio continues while the app is closed. I would hope that in the future it would have some type of PiP support... Similar to iPad.

mtlscream

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

It's not junk but it's buggy... It will get better....

I agree... not junk but far from perfect!.
It remind me the Xbox One release. I had to have it on day one. It was a great console but so many Xbox 360 features were missing on the new one. But got better with the many software updates.

I feel it's going to be the same with Apple TV. So many basic features are missing or not working well. As side the 4K, I think the hardware is capable of much more and could be fix with some software updates.
Time will tell...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I don't have the Apple TV 4 but I'm quite positive I won't have any problem setting up if I ever get it.

Just can't help user error.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Mine has been working great! 64GB model... Glad I didn't get a dud... and hope it doesn't start acting up. Took a bit of getting used to the new remote and interface, but now I like it a lot!!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I agree... not junk but far from perfect!.
It remind me the Xbox One release. I had to have it on day one. It was a great console but so many Xbox 360 features were missing on the new one. But got better with the many software updates.

I feel it's going to be the same with Apple TV. So many basic features are missing or not working well. As side the 4K, I think the hardware is capable of much more and could be fix with some software updates.
Time will tell...

The PS4 was missing a ton of PS3 features as well. It *just* got its Media Playback capabilities back a few months ago, even. I got an XBOne, and returned it after 18-20 hours. It was beyond buggy. The thing would freeze up when "multi tasking" from an app to the Dashboard. Everything would stall until you restarted the console. I could reproduce it with 100% success.

Additionally, Instant On was extremely buggy and after you woke it your controller would stop working (seemed to lose ability to connect to the console) and you had to hard reset the console (hold the power down until it forced a reboot).

There were so many software issues on that console. I couldn't play anything without it freezing, so I returned it for a PlayStation 4, and never looked back.

---

I don't really like the new Apple TV. I don't think that is something I want to spend $150 on. It tries to do more than it should. I rather spend more on a console if I want to game, which is 18,000x the gaming machine this Apple TV could hope to be, while still being almost as good of a streaming box as the AppleTV, than spend $150 on something like this.

But I might get one of the $69 AppleTVs from last generation, though I'm more apt to upgrade my Roku 2 HD to a more recent (and cheaper) Roku instead, where I can just pop an SD Card into it to expand the storage (like I have with the Roku 2 HD I already have, Lol).

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I have one that won't setup manually
and won't setup from my iPhone 6s
Time to unplug it, put it back in the box,send it away
and plugin my Apple TV 3

I totally agree. I had such high hopes for the new model. I have 4 of the the Apple TV 3's and I bought 4 of the new model. I am ready to return them all right now. They are absolutely horrible. This is the worst product that Apple has ever put out. It is an absolute disgrace.

1. No control via Apple's own app or any 3rd party apps. - ATV 3 allowed this. This is a HUGE problem for me as I use a universal IP remote that controls everything.
2. No optical audio output. - ATV 3 had this. Another problem. I use my ATV in 2 zones simultaneously. One of which is an audio only zone. No I have no way of outputting the audio. I have to buy an HDMI audio extractor for $40 (on top of the alrerady high price of the ATV). Who knows how well it will work.
3. App store sucks - There is no browse by category. Looks like there is a very limited selection of apps. Most of which are the same stuff that the older ATVs already included.
4. Remote hurts my thumb already from all the swiping back and fourth. Luckily though the IR remotes still work, so I can use the buttons.
5. The text entry sucks, because it has to be done by the remote. I used to be able to do it with the iphone.
6. You cant enter text in a foreign language anymore, because again, you can't use the iphone app anymore. Was very useful for searching on youtube for foreign languages.
7. Highlighted/selected apps, movies, etc are hard to see. It used to be outlined. Now, it is just slightly larger than the other apps. I always have to look 2 or 3 times to see what I am selecting.
8. Siri sucks. Very limited. It doesn't understand my voice half the time. I was born and raised in the US, and I speak without a foreign accent. I ended up throwing a few 4 letter words at it. That it understood.
9. No web browser - Apple or 3rd party in the app store - WTF?!!!

Absolutely no improvements here, except to apple's stock. Instead of $69, its now $199.
Almost everything I mentioned can be fixed with software updates. Hopefully they will pull their heads out of their asses and make this a good product. You can easily tell that Steve Jobs is no longer around.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

totally agree. I had such high hopes for the new model. I have 4 of the the Apple TV 3's and I bought 4 of the new model. I am ready to return them all right now. They are absolutely horrible. This is the worst product that Apple has ever put out. It is an absolute disgrace.
... And who's fault was it to buy 4 Totally re-vamped devices sight unseen in the first place?

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

No fault. Its just a short drive to the store to return them for a 100% refund. I just assumed that a good company like apple with a good track record for quality products and innovations, would put out this piece of junk. This is a total downgrade from the ATV 3 right now.
When have they ever taken away major functionality like this before???!

thumprdog

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

It is not junk, not completely. But after three years of suffering through the Apple Remote app with the 2nd and 3rd gen ATVs ? I hated how inertia was set wrong and I never in three years successfully swipe scrolled on Netflix, Hulu, HBO, any of them really.

But to install the 4th was difficult with that completely redesigned ?long bar? of the alphabet. The Play/Pause key toggles uppercase? Why the heck did not Apple have a kind of ?alt text? tag that appears briefly SAYING that? I had to find it out googling on my Mac*?*

The First Run Setup that starts on new iOS devices? Where you enable location srvs, and wifi, and other basic connections seemed incomplete on the ATV 4.

And the UI experts, where were they when midtone gray text was layed over lighter tone gray? I stood three feet away the whole time, I never got to sit and enjoy what Apple calls ?the unboxing experience,? taking it out of the box and turning it on. It?s joyful on a Mac, and on an iPhone, it?s elating to have it be so simple.

Why no Bluetooth keyboard support? Even with 2factor-auth, my passwords are 18+ characters for AppleID, since SO MUCH of my life is hidden behind that password entry screen. How can they abandon us to the security wolves like this? (Whoever invented the snide term for Apple designers as Feature Thiefs who simplify by eliminating features should get a free drink for life.)

This poor keyboard letter-swipe thingie will result in less secure future passwords by newbies too lazy to discover the Settings app allows for a PIN of four numbers stand in for typing your password, (again, discovered by Googling. Not by ?Siri-ing?.) And once iCloud gets seriously hacked it?s Peak Apple time, and the descent begins.

I LOVE my Apple products, I am a committed user. But iTunes has become unmanageable on Macs, and on mobiles it seems only interested in getting me to click on their music, and finding my music must always be tap tap tapped each and every time I open the Music app.

Apple used to sweat the details, really hone them incredibly well. Now the only thing being incredibly honed are my dissapointments.

Tis not love's going hurt my days.
But that it went in little ways. ? Edna Millay

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site

My tv arrived yesterday and it wouldn't setup with either method. I restarted it and tried setting up with my 6s and it worked. But while it wasn't working I never thought the tv was junk.

philrodo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

To each his/her own. I own three TVs and they all work great. My only disdain for the new one is that it isn't yet supported by Remote app.

Same here. I was disappointed to find out last night that my iOS Remote app doesn't work with the new AppleTV...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW