My 3rd gen Apple TV is unresponsive, cannot connect to Apple restore server. How can I fix this?

I

iMore Question

My 3rd gen Apple TV is unresponsive, cannot connect to Apple restore server.

I have tried connecting it to iTunes to restore it. iTunes recognizes it but when I click through the restore sequence it shows "downloading 1 item" and shows 20 hours remaining etc. Nothing ever happens. I have tried resetting the ATV, to try and reach the restore setting on the ATV menu, but it is completely unresponsive. I am using the micro/USB cable which came with my Samsung Phone. It transfers photographs okay to my PC so I am assuming it can carry data. I have tried turning off the Windows Firewall, reinstalling iTunes, using another PC all to no avail.

royava

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I ended up taking the ATV to Best Buy where they told me it must be my internet connection because their equipment showed no problems. They said they would hit the restore button for $30. After a brief but loud discussion they agreed to restore it without charge.

It now works well but I still would like to figure out why I can't connect to the Apple Restore server. Any ideas anyone?

royava

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: My 3rd gen Apple TV is unresponsive, cannot connect to Apple restore server.

Thank you kch50428 I tried that first yesterday but nothing worked. I disabled firewall and windows net safe, removed iTunes and all connected files then downloaded the latest version. Both Vista on the Dell laptop and windows 7 64 bit on the other PC are fully up to date. I am on Bell 2 wire modem running at 5.6 Mbps. The Geeks at Best Buy used my micro/USB cable so now I know it transmits data. I have no idea what to try next. I have followed every bit of advice that I can find from Apple TV support. One young fellow suggested on YouTube that my host file might be at fault but I do not have a host file with an entry for Apple with an IP address, should I have? C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers > ETC > Host > Notepad - looked for his example # 127.0.0.1gs.apple.com but only had a line that read 127.0.0.1 local host

I am stumped.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: My 3rd gen Apple TV is unresponsive, cannot connect to Apple restore server.

If the ATV works and can be restored on a different computer then the problem lies with your own PC or a firewall. I know you said that you disabled the firewall as well as Windows Net Safe. Try this: reboot your cable/DSL modem, the router and the PC and then try restoring the ATV via iTunes or via the ATV's settings.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner