What Do You Think Of The Apple TV vs Amazon Fire TV?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I honestly haven't found a need for Apple TV or any similar device. I've tried to justify a purchase several times but I have a couple Samsung Smart TVs, so I just don't see a need. It may be beneficial for all my traveling but I haven't decided yet. With that being said, if I did purchase this type of device it definitely wouldn't be Amazon. Apple TV supporting Airplay has more use to me than Amazon Instant Video. Plus, I can stream Showtime Anytime from my MBA to Apple TV if its that serious...a friend of mine does it & feels the need to tell me about it every chance he gets LOL.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
tv's killer feature is AirPlay. Until Fire TV match that I'm not gonna be checking it out. I have a Roku XD and I'm still not tempted to look at Fire TV as a replacement. My Roku has the Amazon Instant Video channel or I can AirPlay the iOS app to my tv. The voice search is cool, but not cool enough to buy a new box. I play games while watching TV so playing games on the TV doesn't work for me. And I may be the only one but I hate remotes. I control my Roku with my iPhone and the TV with my iPhone and iPad. At some point I'm gonna buy a Logitech Harmony Smart Control.

Please don't think I'm a hater. I do think this will be a contender, but I think it will be fight for the rest of the market. People who want tvs most likely have other reasons for wanting them. If the tv was perfect I wouldn't still own and use my Roku. At this point I think Roku is still winning when it comes to channels. I watch Lifetime, A&E, and the History channels on my Roku because their iOS app counterparts aren't AirPlay compatible. I don't even see those channels on Amazon's list. Amazon has Pandora, but where is Spotify? I don't see YouTube listed either. I know it's new so those channels are probably coming soon.

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using Tapatalk 2

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it's going to be useless here in Canada... Plus it's doesn't support google services so for gaming it will be completely useless... That's my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have my Apple TV that's all I'll ever need mostly just use it for Airplay

I'm not even a fan of smart TVs maybe I'm just old fashion but a TV to me is just to watch movies, news and the price is right 😊

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not even a fan of smart TVs maybe I'm just old fashion but a TV to me is just to watch movies, news and the price is right 😊

Yea... When I heard that they were going to add wifi to TVs I though it was going to be used to turn the TV into a wireless display... Guess I was wrong...

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I think it's going to be useless here in Canada... Plus it's doesn't support google services so for gaming it will be completely useless... That's my opinion...

You make an excellent point. iTunes still rules if you live outside of the USA.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. I have a new LG 55" Smart TV with voice control and it has every app and game you think of. I have no use for an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV just because of everything they have mine has as well. :)

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
So far, ATV is all I need.
Let's see what comes out of the Apple / Comcast set top box deal.
If it completely replaces the traditional set top box & spreads to other cables companies, I'll ditch the Cox provided box in a second cause it's worthless.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
tv's killer feature is AirPlay. Until Fire TV match that I'm not gonna be checking it out. I have a Roku XD and I'm still not tempted to look at Fire TV as a replacement. My Roku has the Amazon Instant Video channel or I can AirPlay the iOS app to my tv. The voice search is cool, but not cool enough to buy a new box. I play games while watching TV so playing games on the TV doesn't work for me. And I may be the only one but I hate remotes. I control my Roku with my iPhone and the TV with my iPhone and iPad. At some point I'm gonna buy a Logitech Harmony Smart Control.

Please don't think I'm a hater. I do think this will be a contender, but I think it will be fight for the rest of the market. People who want tvs most likely have other reasons for wanting them. If the tv was perfect I wouldn't still own and use my Roku. At this point I think Roku is still winning when it comes to channels. I watch Lifetime, A&E, and the History channels on my Roku because their iOS app counterparts aren't AirPlay compatible. I don't even see those channels on Amazon's list. Amazon has Pandora, but where is Spotify? I don't see YouTube listed either. I know it's new so those channels are probably coming soon.

You make some very good and valid points as i mentioned my reason...When you have a LG Smart TV with voice that has everything these other products have, I see no need for them. I am WI-Fi connected and get fed firmwear all the time to add more apps and games as well as i can send pics to it and may other things, That is why I would not be looking at them.

anon(4777221)

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Amazon TV doesn't have the iTunes store, so is basically useless just like the Roku....& no, I'm not going to download the iTunes files to my computer and have it run as a server. The point of apple tv is streaming, not downloading/ripping dvd files/pirating movies to my computer and using it as a network server.

I rent/buy movies, tv shows & music from iTunes and wouldn't switch to either because they are a couple bucks cheaper. Netflix coming out with movies a year later doesn't compare.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm giving it a serious look. If the next Apple TV doesn't wow me, I may pick up a Fire TV because the majority of my usage could be replicated using Plex

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You make some very good and valid points as i mentioned my reason...When you have a LG Smart TV with voice that has everything these other products have, I see no need for them. I am WI-Fi connected and get fed firmwear all the time to add more apps and games as well as i can send pics to it and may other things, That is why I would not be looking at them.

With Apple TV, you get airplay and itunes and plugged into the iOS ecosystem. Your LG "smart" tv won't. Similar to phones, you get a better user experience with Apple, better quality apps, etc.

All i require with a tv is a quality screen and inputs. The other stuff is just bloat.

Amazon's offering should be fine for many though though I wouldn't recommend it to Apple users. I've a feeling Apple is going a different way. If Amazon can sell for 99, then there's not much room for Apple in this category unless it's just something else. I think TurboTiger has the right idea.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Yea... When I heard that they were going to add wifi to TVs I though it was going to be used to turn the TV into a wireless display... Guess I was wrong...

I use to feel the same way but I guess you can say that's what I use my Smart TV for. We watch lots of movies, so with Netflix, Hulu Plus & other apps built in, it makes it easy to switch from satellite to the apps & vice versa. I'm also a minimalist. The only boxes on my media stand are the satellite box & modem. Got rid of mr DVD player because it was too much clutter. I have my flash drive plugged into my TV & I can watch purchased movies that way.

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the TV wars are getting tighter now with the Amazon Fire TV going on sale for $99.00, After reading the article on the Blog, What is your opinion and would it steer you away from Apple?

Apple TV vs. Fire TV: Can Amazon's new contender knock the champ out of the ring? | iMore

I'd like to share my point.

I have smart tv.
I have PS4.
I have media server to stream media from PC.

So why did I bought the Apple TV, since I can also access everything from ATV on these devices?
Well, becouse I cannot.

The main advantage or ATV is airplay. I don't have to mess with TV remote or PS4 pad (worst thing ever). All I need is my iPhone - I just open the streaming app, music app, podcast app (instacast in my example) or YouTube and bam! It's on my TV. Easy, fast, reliable.

Also I can do one more thing which I cannot on amazon tv or roku - clone the iPhone/iPad screen. Awesome feature.

The only thing I don't like is that ATV has small range of video formats supported, so therefore I still have to use the media server instead.

I'm sure that guys that owns amazon kindle will buy non other devise that amazon tv ;)
You know - same Eco-system

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I had an Apple TV before I my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook but I now have a Roku 3 and I see myself using it more than my Apple TV. Don't get me wrong, the Apple TV is still a great device and I'm going to continue to use it. I love Airplay, being able to listen to my music, and the Podcast app. But in terms of channel selection the Roku is better. The only Roku app I've explored in depth is the MLB.tv one, and it has several featues the ATV one does not. If Apple put it full weight behind the Apple TV I've no doubt it would blow the Fire and Roku out of the water. But until they commit to the ATV it will not reach it's full potential.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh