When Did You Buy Your First Apple TV? Do You Still Use It Everyday?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
bought mine a few years ago- I don't use it that often but I like the option to watch a movie whenever i want. I just seem to never have time to sit down and watch a movie

khadijah abdelillah

May 14, 2014
Visit site
hiya i brought mine a few years ago but is now obsolete as we have the roku set to US so get a lot more out of it, we love hulu and plex on it so the apple tv was put on the back burner.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
More than two years ago, the school were I teach purchased one for use in my classroom. Shortly there after, I purchased one for home. I use the Appletv almost daily at work and at home. Of all the Apple products I own (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, Appletv), the Appletv is my favorite!

iMaverick

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I got my Apple TV a few years back and love it. Use it all the time and love how I can stop a film and then pick it up on my iPad when in another room.

Waiting to see what WWDC brings then I can upgrade and stick my ATV 2 in my boys room.

AlexJ92

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I brought my Apple TV approx 6months ago, I only use it mainly for Netflix streaming or renting movies on iTunes but apart from that it doesn't really get used to its full potential

Sent from my iPhone 5S

myonlinelifenow

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm rocking the original 1st Gen 40GB that is used probably every other weekend as our goto media player on the go when visiting one or both grandparents with the kids. For the remainder of the week its used in the work out room for yoga on video for my wife, We got that in 2008. The 2nd Gen is our primary home unit which is used everyday. 70% our content 20% Netflix 10% Youtube. If Canada gets better AppStore TV viewing apps Cable will go the way of the dodo bird. We picked that up in 2010.

BigSaintDogs

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I never got one until gen 3 and it is used probably 5 days a week. Lots or iTunes streaming as we have a very large music library and use the iTunes Match.

If it's not a Saint it's just a Dog!
iPhone 5S 64G, iPad Air 128G LTE, MacBook Pro 17 2010, Apple TV, iPod Classic 160 G, Time Capsule 2T

kountzer

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought Apple TV several years ago, around 2009. I really don't remember when I bought it. I seldom use it. it is probably obsolete. I recently, like days ago, started using it again. It has some good features. I like using airplay from my mac or my iPhone to apple tv. I don't know if I will ever upgrade.
I also have a roku. I bought about the same time as when I got the apple tv. I seldom use it either. I like youtube on roku. I can't wait to get rid of cable. My thoughts on both of these devices may change then.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought Apple TV several years ago, around 2009. I really don't remember when I bought it. I seldom use it. it is probably obsolete. I recently, like days ago, started using it again. It has some good features. I like using airplay from my mac or my iPhone to apple tv. I don't know if I will ever upgrade.
I also have a roku. I bought about the same time as when I got the apple tv. I seldom use it either. I like youtube on roku. I can't wait to get rid of cable. My thoughts on both of these devices may change then.

The original Apple TV was released in January, 2007. It had internal storage (40gb or 120gb hard drive) and lacked many of the features of later generation TVs - including AirPlay and the ability to stream TV channels channels, in addition to streaming content from iTunes and iOS devices. The second generation was introduced on September 1, 2010. So if you are using AirPlay, you could not have purchased it prior to September 2010.

The first gen unit was about eight inches square and only had component output. Generation 2, 3 and 3a is about four inches square and only has HDMI out.

relic74

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I bought one last year in August. It came free with the purchase of my Surface Pro 3, yea, the irony isn't lost on me. I used the Apple TV for all about two days before I got frustrated with it's lack of features. Something as simple as surfing the net wasn't possible, which drove me nuts as even my TV has a built in web browser, It did however get me interested enough in buying another TV set-box. After an exhausted search I decided on the MINIX A8-H Plus. Which turned out to be a great choice, really quick, ample ports, great software. Not only could I now surf but install apps as well, something that was also missing from the Apple TV, which I didn?t understand, isn?t it based on iOS. Anyway I was also able to install games, which I have to say is a lot of fun, especially games like Modern Combat 4, 5, Nova 3, Dead Space, etc. Than there was Kodi(XBMC), probably the coolest media app that I have ever used, so much so that I canceled my cable service and used it exclusively. Since I live in Switzerland I never really had access to anything but European Channel?s, now I have the entire world to watch and there are some pretty great TV shows out there, I?m actually watching a Vietnamese cop show right now, so cool.

Moving forward a little bit, I recently upgraded my Minix to a Nvidia Shield Console and couldn't be happier, their not cheap at 200 bucks for the 16GB model and 300 for the 500GB but worth every penny. Specs: Nvidia X1 CPU, 256 Core Maxwell GPU, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD (I removed the included HD and installed a 240GB Samsung 840 SSD), SD Card, 2 USB 3.0 ports and a micro USB. It's probably the best thing you can add to your TV right now. I even installed a Logitech Cam, external hard drive and bought an extra Nvidia GamePad. I'm all set, now where is Crysis 3 like they promised. Yeah, can you believe that, Crysis 3 with all setting turned on high at 60fps, can?t wait.
I would skip the Apple TV, it's just not as powerful or as fun to use as some of the new Android box?s on the market. If you can't afford the 200 for the Nvidia than look at the Minix Z64, Xiaomi Box 3, Google Nexus or maybe even one of those new Intel Compute Sticks, the X-Strong mini is the exact same thing but about 50 bucks cheaper. Going this route will still have same results, especially when you install Kodi for Windows 8.1. Don?t forget to install a good web browser, VLC, Netflix, HBO Go, HULU Plus, Kodi(don't forget to grab a good repository that contains TV, movie and music add-ons, I use SuperRep), some decent FPS games, than lay back and enjoy. Seriously, if the device doesn't support Kodi(XBMC), stay away from it. Good luck.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I got one when they released the 2nd generation and I eventually sold that and upgraded to the 3rd generation. I love it. I use it almost everyday. I stream from my iPad and my iPhone using AirPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I got one in 2012 and used it for about a year. Unfortunately, AirPlay turned out to be too buggy to rely on, and I wanted some of the killer features on the Roku3 ( playing any file from a flash drive, headphone jack, Amazon Instant). The AppleTV sits in the basement connected to a rarely used TV. It's an ok product but no longer the best.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I got mine early 2014 and only put down the apple remote when I watch the six o'clock news and scheduled shows on cable

BunnyDeath

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
My first AppleTV was a Gen1. I bought it when it first came out a long time ago. I no longer have it and have since bought 2 Gen3 boxes we use daily for Music, Netflix, and AirPlay screen sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2