Is it really worth the upgrade to Apple TV 3?

PDADoctor

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Apple TV 2 since it came out, and I'm generally satisfied with it, although I've been toying with getting the 3rd generation one. I'm just wondering is there are enough different features to truly warrant getting it over what I have.

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Apple TV 2 since it came out, and I'm generally satisfied with it, although I've been toying with getting the 3rd generation one. I'm just wondering is there are enough different features to truly warrant getting it over what I have.

I love my Apple TV 3, never had the two but it has no lag, starts up very quickly.

PDADoctor

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, at the least, if there is a new one coming down the pipeline, I should be able to pickup the ATV 3 for a much lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, at the least, if there is a new one coming down the pipeline, I should be able to pickup the ATV 3 for a much lower price.

I mean the ATV3 is $100 which for some is high but to me I think it's a decent price. Now with chromcast being on $35 that's a pretty good steal. Would love to see apple lower the price to that, but I doubt it

PDADoctor

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with you, but I won't hold my breath waiting for Apple to come down that much. The fact is they have far too many zealots willing to pay whatever for their products. Their stuff is nice, but never worth what they charge for it.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the ATV 3 and it's a great device but Apple may drop a new ATV this year.

I've been wanting to get an ATV 3 back early last year, but then I waited until WWDC to see if a new version would be announced...

Then I waited until the iPhone 5S announce date to see if a new ATV was also announced....

Then I waited until the October event to see if a new ATV would be announced...

See a pattern here?

A new version has been rumored to be 'just around the corner' for a good year. I went ahead and purchased an ATV just a couple weeks ago. If they finally do announce a new one this year, then at least I'll have been able to enjoy this one for a while. And chances are the then 'old' ATV 3 will probably be updated to the same OS as whatever new one comes out and have most of its capabilities. And when I do decide to upgrade, I'll only be out $100 for the ATV 3, so it won't be that big of a loss.

Waiting to buy something because a rumored upgrade 'might' be around the corner with no real factual basis only leads to one waiting forever. It's different than iPhones and iPads because we usually have a very reliable idea when they come out. However there's been nothing but very weak rumors of a new ATV for over a year so far.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya.

Ya never know what Apple is going to do with some products. I feel on things like ATV they take their time with it cause they are not under the gun to deliver a new one every year like iPhone. I can possibly see a new ATV being smaller and faster and possibly being more inline with iOS. Possibly Face Time function? maybe iMessage? Games?

Maybe some kind of function like a Direct TV Genie. Where you have one satellite box on your main TV that broadcast the signal throughout the home to smaller boxes. But in the case of ATV they could be tiny HDMI units connected to other TV's? Who knows.
The wait could be they are working out deals with content providers. Maybe they will buy Netflix LOL. :)

PDADoctor

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
In the end, I guess I have no real complaints with my ATV 2, so I'll just keep it until it doesn't work anymore. I've never been one of those people who rushes out and gets something just because it's newer than the one I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PDADoctor

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you upgrade I will buy it from you or I buy you the Apple TV 3 and we change

Where are you? Are you in the NYC area? I'm sure we can work something out, since I don't care about jailbreak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner