4 New 'Channels' 12/11/2013

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
AppleTV now has "WatchABC" - "Crackle" - "Bloomberg" - and "KOR - KoreanTV"

If you don't see 'em - reboot your AppleTV...

ABC app requires provider verification... Crackle requires verification with an existing account with them... Bloomberg is their business news live, and on-demand featured programming... KOR has some free and some subscription live and on demand opportunities...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok whats the deal with ABC snubbing the satellite providers again??? I mean ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, are all Disney products right? Whats their beef with Satellite ??? ABC is OTA why on earth would you require activation for that?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok whats the deal with ABC snubbing the satellite providers again??? I mean ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, are all Disney products right? Whats their beef with Satellite ??? ABC is OTA why on earth would you require activation for that?
You answered your own question... it's the OTA component and maintaining affiliate relations... so affiliates can get ratings "credit" for things watched...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Authentication is via a cableTV provider...

I receive all of those channels via Directv. Yet I can not activate them. I activated HBOGO through my Directv account no problem, so I know it can be done. I get my local stations, ESPN, and Disney through them as well. If they can verify my hbo account why can't they verify my locals & other channels?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I receive all of those channels via Directv. Yet I can not activate them. I activated HBOGO through my Directv account no problem, so I know it can be done. I get my local stations, ESPN, and Disney through them as well. If they can verify my hbo account why can't they verify my locals & other channels?

Take it up with DirecTV...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Take it up with DirecTV...
That's just it, Directv doesn't seam to be the problem, it's Disney that's getting the wag of the finger here. Pray tell how does one "Take it up with" Disney?
Hey guess what? I activated KOR just fine (too bad I don't understand Korean). Way to pad your channel line up Apple!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Direct TV wouldn't authenticate HBO Go went it first hit Apple TV but subscribers spoke out and Direct TV changed it a few days later.
DirecTV Does An About-Face, Now Allows Subscribers To Use HBO GO On Apple TV -- AppAdvice

Apparently Direct TV doesn't have a authentication deal with Disney/ABC.
You can't get anything if the price is right so possibly the price isn't right for Direct TV.
Must not have a deal with Dish Network either, combined that's 35 million viewers that can't activate. I think it's Apple position to step in here, it is their product I can't use FWIW. When Apple talks people listen, when NQR talks not so much ...
On a side note I think that the 10 people that have Google fiber being able to activate is a giant slap in the face ...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe Time Warner also doesn't have a authentication deal with ABC/Disney.
I think with HBO there was a uproar from subscribers of switching to cable. Probably not so much with Watch ABC and Watch ESPN.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe Time Warner also doesn't have a authentication deal with ABC/Disney.
I think with HBO there was a uproar from subscribers of switching to cable. Probably not so much with Watch ABC and Watch ESPN.
It's slightly comforting that Time Warner customers are in the same boat. Still I think an intervention from Apple is necessary. They are selling a partly functional product to a good deal of their customers. It's very much along the lines of selling an iMac that only some of your customers get ALL the internet ...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe ATV is a partially functioning product. Apple already has deals with the Networks by purchasing shows on iTunes.
I can't see what Apple could do to influence certain cable/sat providers to allow authentication.

The point behind authentication I believe is that. The networks want you to watch their content the normal way ie pay for it on a least one TV pay for it meaning a cable subscription.

Well we could say that I can watch ABC on a TV with a OTA converter box but I can't replay it over and over that way. With a cable subscription you can.

So the Networks are saying if you want to stream our content over and over commercial free you got to pay for it even if that means paying your cable provider because ABC is getting their cut for sure. They gotta get theirs either through ad revenue or their cable cut or both.

Whatever the deal is with Direct TV and ABC or any network I don't know but it's safe to assume its money.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't be releasing "channels" until you can guaranty all of your qualified customers can receive them. My Directv service works perfectly I receive every channel I pay for including the aforementioned Disney/ABC/ESPN products, so I have no beef with Directv. Now my Apple TV on the other hand has introduced channels that I subscribe to fully, and should receive their content through ATV just as much as the next guy, but don't. This effects over 46 million people. This is a big problem. This is Apple & it's ATV division's problem to fix. Until this is fixed Apple needs to stop introducing channels that alienates a huge chunk of their customer base.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I disagree.
All of the other providers can authenticate Watch ABC.
ABC approaches Apple with the app for ATV Apple says sure. ABC wants their cut not from Apple but from the providers they have deals with.

Apple TV is a device not a service. Apple's service is iTunes for the sake of discussion. Their service provides ABC content that you can buy and ABC gets their cut from that, a big cut because it's their content Apple gets a money in distribution.

Now of course like many of their devices Apple controls what "apps" can be put on a ATV these apps do nothing but stream from the outside.
But the user can stream whatever they like to their ATV even adult content if the user chooses to. But I'm certain Apple will not strike a deal with adult movie studio.

ABC/ Disney is the content provider and they own the rights to the content. They determine how their content is distributed in this case cable authentication.

Apple can't tell ABC how to distribute their content. ABC could choose to pull their content from iTunes if they don't like the deal at the end of a agreement.

Apple TV allows the user to stream whatever "content" they own or rent to their HDTV. You rip a DVD you can stream it to your ATV.
Content is the key. Apple owns none of the content on iTunes they just distribute it. Apple allows a app for ABC to stream their content on Apple TV. Content that Apple has no rights to.

These providers that authenticate Watch ABC may believe that they can attract people away from Direct TV or Time Warner for their content.

The point is that Apple has no control on how ABC streams their content. You have to remember its ABC's content not Apple's. So I believe Apple doesn't have a dog in this fight. If Direct TV doesn't like the deal that ABC they may have said we pass or they could be still negotiating.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple most certainly does have a dog in this fight, it's their loyal customer base. No ones holding a gun to their heads to add a "channel" , App or whatever you wish to call it. Apple could have just as easily said to Disney that their App excluded a large portion of Apple customers, and Disney could comeback when that changed. I expect more from Apple no matter what product of theirs is at hand. It's Apple's device, it's Apple's customers using their device, it's Apples job to maintain a higher standard for their customers, and not subject them to BS like this ....
Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 12.28.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-13 at 12.29.32 AM.png
Which satellite providers are they talking about??? Oh that's right none of them!!!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You can choose to be upset with Apple if you like but Direct TV which I have and any other Cable/Sat providers not listed won't be able to stream Watch ABC content via Apple TV until Direct TV or any provider not listed jumps on board.

If you feel it's Apple's fault write to them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox