Apple TV refresh - what I want

AngriBuddhist

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
After the 3rd gen Apple TV went 1080p, there hasn't been any compelling speculation on how Apple could update the hardware of the over 1 1/2 year old set-top box.

There's rumor of a new control mechanism which might need a microphone or a kinetic style camera but most are focusing on an Apple TV SDK so developers could start releasing apps.

Who knows what they'll do with the controls but I highly doubt Apple is going to let developers run rampant across their media platform. However, I could easily see Apple adding an Apple TV App Store that is populated with iPad only games that can be 100 % controlled by a bluetooth game controller.

Both a new control mechanism and some sort of App Store would make me happy but I have a much different desire for a next gen Apple TV. Keep everything it currently is, add in whatever control and App stuff they might be working on, and add 6 HDMI IN ports, making the next gen Apple TV an audio/video receiver.

With the HDMI CEC features ( HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), you could control your other devices through the Apple TV and if the current feature of Airplay Out from the Apple TV could be synchronized across multiple airplay speakers, wireless surround sound and multiple room audio would be possible.

So...

1) Apple TV as is
2) 6 HDMI IN ports making it an audio/video receiver
3) HDMI CEC ( HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) control of other devices
4) Synchronized audio to Airplay speakers and devices
5) Some sort of hands free control mechanism

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your wish for the next Apple TV. Interesting, indeed.

AngriBuddhist

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So, a new round of Apple TV rumors are being circulated this week and, adding fuel to the fire, Apple has promoted it to a full fledged product by actually giving it it's own section in their online store. Previously, the Apple TV was buried down in (I think) iPhone accessories.

Rumor #1 - Some sort of way to play games. Currently, you can Airplay Mirror any game to your ATV but the combination of lag and need to look at your device to hit virtual buttons makes this a poor experience. Rumors suggest Streaming from Apple to ATV, Downloading to and Running On ATV, and less laggy Airplay Mirroring.

For the first two, Streaming or Downloading, I have to stick to my first post. It would just be games and a quick way to populate the selection would be to include all iPad games that work in landscape and can be 100% controlled by a MFi bluetooth controller.

As to a better experience with games and Airplay Mirroring...

Rumor #2 - The New ATV may have a built-in Airport Express. This is being expressed as a way to offer better video quality but, honestly, I have zero gripes about this with the current gen ATV and I don't expect 4K content to be rushing onto the scene any time soon. However, if this rumor is true, this would also allow an iOS device and an ATV to speak to each other directly, rather than having a wireless router sitting between them. This hardware revision alone would, theoretically, cut the Airplay Mirroring lag in half, meaning that running a game on an iOS device and streaming it to your ATV may be a much more realistic option.

Rumor #3 - Apple is testing a version with a TV tuner for control of your cable box with an Apple interface. Please don't let this be true. As I wished for in my first post, please let it be HDMI inputs. Turn the box into an A/V receiver, control other devices through HDMI CEC and give me synchronized Airplay to speakers and other Airplay devices.

Chuck08

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm excited for a new ATV. For me, the hardware would need a serious upgrade for gaming IMO. Do you put in the A7 chip and 4gb of ram with storage inside? In that case, might as well merge with the Mac mini.

If they put in some good hardware and keep the price reasonable ($150) it would do a lot if damage in the gaming industry. In that regard I would hope they make a small dongle (like chromecast) that would have the same functionality as the current one for people that aren't into gaming.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
There are some iOS games that I would enjoy consolized but Apple would need to push some exclusives to get me interested over an Android console.

For me the Apple TV sells itself on its other functions. I'm eager to see what else they'll bring to the table.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77