Help Please: Maximum number of ATVs per single Home Sharing on a single Mac

dmartora

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if someone could help. I've searched the net and forums for a few weeks now and and I'm finding many mixed messages and opinions, but I was hoping that a member on here might know or be able to advise.

I'm trying to find an answer as to what is the maximum number of ATVs (not gen 1) that can stream from a single shared library

This is not a question of how many devices (e.g. computers, iPods etc), or what are the network/bandwidth limitations, or even a question of hard wired v wireless. I'm trying to get an informed answer about if there is definitive direction with regards to the how many ATVs can home share

Here's the scenario:

1 x iMac running latest iTunes with a single iTunes account and home sharing enabled
6 x ATVs (mix of ATV2s and ATV3s)

5 of the ATVs work fine. The 6th one (which one of the 6 doesn't matter) can connect to the net, can connect to the iTunes account (can use iTunes match, can stream from the web) and I can even control it via the iPhone/iPad remote app, but cannot access the shared library.

If I go through the pain of shutting down iTunes and then rebooting my iMac, I can usually get a different 5 of the 6 to connect to home sharing (different mix of ATV 2 and 3s, different mix of wired and wireless). As mentioned, I can always get all 6 devices to connect to iTunes (Match etc) every time.

As I'm typing this, I feel like I'm answering my own question but if anyone happens to have a definitive answer or is able to provide alternative information it would be appreciated, especially as whenever I trawl other forums and see posts and examples of 10 or more ATVs being connected to the same shared library, it keeps bringing me back to thinking I have missed something obvious.

All feedback and guidance appreciated.

dmartora

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but that actually confuses me a little more.

I actually have 13 devices sharing the library through home sharing:

5 x ATVs (Not 1st gen)
5 x iPhones (4 x 4S, 1 x 5)
3 x iPads (1 x iPad 1, 2 x iPad 2)

They all stream from home sharing without a problem, and I even had them all streaming something simultaneously once just to prove it wasn't a network limitation. I was quite pleased with myself.

So, as shown, I have 13 devices actively connecting to the shared library, the only limitation I have is with the ATVs. As soon as I try to connect to home sharing, it simply says it can't find the library despite being able to control it remotely, and having the ATV access iTunes Match etc via the same apple id. All very confusing, but is what made me think it is actually a limit on ATVs connecting via home sharing rather than iOS devices etc.

Against, thanks for the feedback, but that conflicts which what I've been able to do with the total sum of my devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you disconnect your iPhones & iPads from your network, will the 6th ATV access your shared library?