I really want to replace our HTPC with an Apple TV, but hesitant

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Throwing this out there to see if anyone has been in the same spot, and what they did. Hope this doesn't come across as rambling.

Hey all, our family is a 'cord cutter' household means that we've ditched cable TV for online streaming options. We currently have a couple year old net-top acting as a home theater PC (HTPC) that we use for streaming online TV options (mostly Hulu), as well as other network websites for streaming programs not found on Hulu. We also have an HD air antenna for local stations.

When we got the HTPC some years ago, we didn't have any Apple products in the household. Now we have an iPhone 5, 4s, and an iPad 3 and 4 (I swear that one product is a gateway drug to the others :laughing:), and the appeal of Airplay'ing to an Apple TV as well as not having to fumble with a wireless mouse and keyboard has more appeal than it did. However, we want to make sure we don't lose out on content currently available in a plain Windows PC environment.

The one thing about mobile Hulu app that bugs me is that some programs are web only, and can't be viewed on a mobile device. Stupidest restriction I've ever seen.

Fortunately, for non-Hulu content, it looks like the major networks are making decent apps that can stream their shows that we can just AirPlay to the Apple TV. The CBS app is actually quite decent in my experience.

We have a newborn at home which limits our travel, and we're fortunate that our church live streams their services on Sunday via their website via Flash. In testing it once, it seems that I was able to get it to stream on my iPad via Safari (must have used a different player on the mobile version), but I want to test it again to make sure it actually works.

It baffles me that Apple TV doesn't have their own app store yet.

I have no interest in jailbreaking my device.

Anyway, what's holding us back from getting an Apple TV is that we need to make sure we can get the same content via iPad mirroring or via its built in apps that we can get in a Windows environment. Has anyone run into this same dilemma, and how has it gone for you? I think I'll wait and see if Apple TV 4 is announced later this year and see if there's any improvements to it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My biggest suggestion is download the app for the programs you want and see if it has a air play option .. Then u will be good to go but mirroring will work but I noticed its hard to get full screen while doing that.
There is also flash browsers available on the App Store that should work for your flash needs:

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Why replace the HTPC... add the AppleTV - use it for what you can... and you'd still have the HTPC to fall back on.

With display mirroring - almost everything you do on an iPad will mirror to a TV via the AppleTV... some apps support AirPlay without full mirroring...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Why replace the HTPC... add the AppleTV - use it for what you can... and you'd still have the HTPC to fall back on.

With display mirroring - almost everything you do on an iPad will mirror to a TV via the AppleTV... some apps support AirPlay without full mirroring...

Our entertainment center is getting overcrowded as is, don't want to add on to the pile even more. However we'll have to get a different entertainment center eventually as the baby gets older (current one has too many stuff within arm's reach) so maybe we can get more space.

I think I'll just try to mirror everything we do on the HTPC with the iPad this week to see if there's any gaps that we can notice.

I also was not aware of the Flash browsers out there, I'll have to check them out but hopefully we won't need it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73