Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Apple TV replacing Airport Express

Hey all,

I've seen this topic covered after Googling but still have a question.

Right now I have a $50 Rocketfish Bluetooth module connected by aux cable to a Bose Wave radio. I stream music to it with my iPhone and iPad using both Pandora and Rhapsody. Both of these services do support AirPlay.

To improve sound quality and decrease dropouts I was considering getting an Airport Express instead to serve the same function as the Rocketfish device, except using AirPlay of course.

Looking at a diagram of the ports available on the back of the Apple TV, I see there is an audio out port that I would think I could connect to the Bose just the same as the other devices. Since the setup happens to be right next to my HDTV, I would think I could replace both the Rocketfish device and my Roku (and move the Roku to our bedroom).

Am I missing something here? I have a Wi-Fi network...the router is on the shelf just below the Bose so I could hard wire the Apple TV to it.

When I Google this question I see resistance to this idea but it's never 100% clear what the problem is. The Bose has nothing to do with my TV sound. I'd have the Apple TV perform two completely separate functions.

Thanks for any responses.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Apple TV replacing Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Hey all,

I've seen this topic covered after Googling but still have a question.

Right now I have a $50 Rocketfish Bluetooth module connected by aux cable to a Bose Wave radio. I stream music to it with my iPhone and iPad using both Pandora and Rhapsody. Both of these services do support AirPlay.

To improve sound quality and decrease dropouts I was considering getting an Airport Express instead to serve the same function as the Rocketfish device, except using AirPlay of course.

Looking at a diagram of the ports available on the back of the Apple TV, I see there is an audio out port that I would think I could connect to the Bose just the same as the other devices. Since the setup happens to be right next to my HDTV, I would think I could replace both the Rocketfish device and my Roku (and move the Roku to our bedroom).

Am I missing something here? I have a Wi-Fi network...the router is on the shelf just below the Bose so I could hard wire the Apple TV to it.

When I Google this question I see resistance to this idea but it's never 100% clear what the problem is. The Bose has nothing to do with my TV sound. I'd have the Apple TV perform two completely separate functions.

Thanks for any responses.
    As I understand it, the audio out (optical) and video out (HDMI) are connected... meaning that there is only one function. I suppose you could broadcast audio only programming to your AppleTV and just use the audio out to your Bose system... but when you are using the video from/streamed to the AppleTV, the audio would still go out to the Bose (unless you disconnected the optical audio cable from the AppleTV. I suppose you could change the settings in the Settings/Audio menu option on the AppleTV, but that would become a pain pretty quickly - always having the modify (or verify) the setting before using your AppleTV.

On the other hand, if you want to just use your Bose system for the audio, then it should work fairly well - I THINK. I know that HDMI out send both audio and video to your TV, my assumption is that the presence of an optical audio cable out from the AppleTV would override the HDMI audio.

I am 100% certain that if my thoughts are completely incorrect, some one will be along pretty quickly to say so and to correct me.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    As I understand it, the audio out (optical) and video out (HDMI) are connected... meaning that there is only one function. I suppose you could broadcast audio only programming to your AppleTV and just use the audio out to your Bose system... but when you are using the video from/streamed to the AppleTV, the audio would still go out to the Bose (unless you disconnected the optical audio cable from the AppleTV. I suppose you could change the settings in the Settings/Audio menu option on the AppleTV, but that would become a pain pretty quickly - always having the modify (or verify) the setting before using your AppleTV.

On the other hand, if you want to just use your Bose system for the audio, then it should work fairly well - I THINK. I know that HDMI out send both audio and video to your TV, my assumption is that the presence of an optical audio cable out from the AppleTV would override the HDMI audio.

I am 100% certain that if my thoughts are completely incorrect, some one will be along pretty quickly to say so and to correct me.
    This answer may explain the resistance I'm seeing online. I would not want to involve the TV every time I'm listening to tunes. I'm hoping you're mistaken but I have a sinking feeling you're correct.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

My understanding is the Apple TV would have to be on for it use airplay I assume depending on your tv I would hook hdmi to TV then use Audio out from TV to Bose .. Then whatever sound from the Apple TV would be on your Bose ..
    Since Apple TV is not just audio only it's would be kind of a pain
    The airport express is a little more simple as its always on and airplay available.

If I was you to keep it simple why not pick up a 1st gen express the ones that plug direct into wall you can get them on ebay cheaper... then have it connect to your existing wifi and have that hooked to your Bose

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Yeah maybe I'll look into the 1st gen express. Damn shame. I feel like that's an easy function to toss into the ATV.
    Last edited by edd; 07-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Yeah maybe I'll look into the 1st gen express. Damn shame. I feel like that's an easy function to toss into the ATV.
    It does work but you would just have to make sure it's on before using unlike the express it on and just leave the speakers on so it will work whenever

7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    It does work but you would just have to make sure it's on before using unlike the express it on and just leave the speakers on so it will work whenever

Been reading some stuff in the last hour that makes me think you're right. My Rocketfish device is always on anyway so that wouldn't change anything. I turn the Bose on whenever I listen to tunes.

I guess my specific needs aren't the same as most folks, which is weird to me. This seems like an obvious additional use for the ATV. If I find no new info maybe I'll just hit Best Buy tomorrow, give it a whirl, and just return it if it doesn't work.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Been reading some stuff in the last hour that makes me think you're right. My Rocketfish device is always on anyway so that wouldn't change anything. I turn the Bose on whenever I listen to tunes.

I guess my specific needs aren't the same as most folks, which is weird to me. This seems like an obvious additional use for the ATV. If I find no new info maybe I'll just hit Best Buy tomorrow, give it a whirl, and just return it if it doesn't work.
    I play music all the time using my tv and Apple TV getting it hooked to the Bose is the trick

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I play music all the time using my tv and Apple TV getting it hooked to the Bose is the trick

Getting it hooked to the Bose should not be an issue... I have an AppleTV in my family room hooked up to my 60" television and a/v receiver. The issue that I see here is (as I understand it) that Edd wants the AppleTV audio - that is, the audio that comes through streamed video stuff, to come through the TV... but if he’s just streaming audio, then he wants it to play through the Bose. That is the tricky part. IF there is an audio cable plugged into the AppleTV, the audio will play through that. If not, audio goes out the HDMI cable to the TV...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Getting it hooked to the Bose should not be an issue... I have an AppleTV in my family room hooked up to my 60" television and a/v receiver. The issue that I see here is (as I understand it) that Edd wants the AppleTV audio - that is, the audio that comes through streamed video stuff, to come through the TV... but if he’s just streaming audio, then he wants it to play through the Bose. That is the tricky part. IF there is an audio cable plugged into the AppleTV, the audio will play through that. If not, audio goes out the HDMI cable to the TV...
    Wouldn't a simple solution be to use audio out of the TV into the Bose ? Only issue I see is all audio will go to Bose

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Wouldn't a simple solution be to use audio out of the TV into the Bose ? Only issue I see is all audio will go to Bose

Agreed. I said so in my first response... it really seems to be the only viable solution...
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I'm positive it would work running the TV to the Bose. I'm going to try to do it with the TV off and run Pandora or Rhapsody like so:

iOS device> Apple TV > through optical cable > connected straight into Bose

Both Pandora and Rhapsody apps support AirPlay. I've read posts on other forums stating that ATV owners have run sound through ATV to a sound system using a cable with the TV off.

The only difference is that they were all using iTunes. For all I know that could be a problem.

If I do try this I'll post what I find here.
    iMore Intermediate

I have my apple tv hooked up to a 7 speaker home theater system which is also hooked up to a projector, when I want to stream music I just turn the receiver on for the audio the projector stays off.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

FWIW the Apple TV does stay "on" all the time. Just in standby, as soon as you select it as a "speaker" it powers up and begins streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Looking at the ports on the ATV and the Bose I think I see a flaw in my plan. The optical port would need to be hooked to a DAC. The Bose only has analog inputs. Sheewwt.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Looking at the ports on the ATV and the Bose I think I see a flaw in my plan. The optical port would need to be hooked to a DAC. The Bose only has analog inputs. Sheewwt.
    ... and THAT's when the wheels came off.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

This answer may explain the resistance I'm seeing online. I would not want to involve the TV every time I'm listening to tunes. I'm hoping you're mistaken but I have a sinking feeling you're correct.
    ... and THAT's when the wheels came off.
    Here's my set up. ATV to surround sound system via HDMI. ATV to RocketFish via optical out to this:

Amazon.com : ViewHD Digital to Analog Audio Decoder (SPDIF / Coaxial 5.1CH Input to RCA L/R / 3.5mm Headphone Output) : Audio Video Accessories Parts : Electronics

ATV outputs to both HDMI and optical out at the same time. When watching TV, the RF is off, when streaming podcast to another room of the house, or any other iTunes content, the surround sound is off (both can be on at the same time if needed).

There are cheaper optical to RCA converters, but they don't do Dolby, I wanted to make sure it worked every time, which it has.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Willie View Post
    Here's my set up. ATV to surround sound system via HDMI. ATV to RocketFish via optical out to this:

Amazon.com : ViewHD Digital to Analog Audio Decoder (SPDIF / Coaxial 5.1CH Input to RCA L/R / 3.5mm Headphone Output) : Audio Video Accessories Parts : Electronics

ATV outputs to both HDMI and optical out at the same time. When watching TV, the RF is off, when streaming podcast to another room of the house, or any other iTunes content, the surround sound is off (both can be on at the same time if needed).

There are cheaper optical to RCA converters, but they don't do Dolby, I wanted to make sure it worked every time, which it has.
    That probably works well for you, but if you aren’t careful, you end up spending more for the parts to make everything work... and you end up with a Rube Goldberg solution that can be cumbersome and problematic.