Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    andykan's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Unhappy I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    I've been thinking of getting an Apple TV for quite some time already. But I've got a question that I couldn't find an answer anywhere, so I guess I'll just ask it here.

    I know that with Airplay, I can mirror whatever's on my iPhone and iPad. But what about my iMac? Am I able to stream movies or TV shows I manually added to iTunes from my iMac to the Apple TV? Or does it only allows me to play movies and TV shows I've bought from iTunes that are stored in iCloud?

    Will be great if I get an answer from some Apple TV expert.
  2. #2  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,786 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,835 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by andykan View Post
    I've been thinking of getting an Apple TV for quite some time already. But I've got a question that I couldn't find an answer anywhere, so I guess I'll just ask it here.

    I know that with Airplay, I can mirror whatever's on my iPhone and iPad. But what about my iMac? Am I able to stream movies or TV shows I manually added to iTunes from my iMac to the Apple TV? Or does it only allows me to play movies and TV shows I've bought from iTunes that are stored in iCloud?

    Will be great if I get an answer from some Apple TV expert.
    Not sure about mirroring Mac but I want to say yes I think so
    But you can
    Stream manual added movies or videos yes ..
    It's called home sharing
    You can select movies from your Mac using the Apple TV assuming your computer is on and iTunes is on

    And yes if you purchased from iTunes it will show as purchased on Apple TV and you can stream from cloud






    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    Thanked by:
    andykan (12-03-2012)
  3. #3  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Home sharing works. You can also airplay from iTunes on the Mac depending in your iTunes and OSX versions. Mountain lion can mirror your Mac desktop.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  4. #4  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Home sharing works. You can also airplay from iTunes on the Mac depending in your iTunes and OSX versions. Mountain lion can mirror your Mac desktop.
    As Karen says, yes, airplay mirroring is possible IF you’re running Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.x). I use it regularly to share stuff from my MacBook Pro. And our church has recently purchased several Apple TVs for expressly this purpose - for use in educational and conference rooms.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    andykan's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    One more question, my home broadband speed is not the fastest, only 6MBps. Is that speed sufficient to download movies and stream videos from my iMac? I got a feeling the streaming of videos of be choppy and laggy and movies will take a long time to load...
    Tiny little red dot - Singapore
  6. #6  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    If the video is already on your iMac, then broadband speeds don't matter just you home network speed.

    For movies that you are streaming I believe that 6 should be enough at least for 720p video. But I think the Apple site lists minimum suggested speeds, so you should check before purchasing.
  7. #7  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by andykan View Post
    One more question, my home broadband speed is not the fastest, only 6MBps. Is that speed sufficient to download movies and stream videos from my iMac? I got a feeling the streaming of videos of be choppy and laggy and movies will take a long time to load...
    I get about 5 Mbps average on my network and mine works great. The initial buffer before starting a movie takes 20-30 seconds, but there are no streaming problems after that. The only thing is that if you try to go to data-heavy sites or watch videos on the computer or iPad while watching a movie on the ATV, it can cause some buffering.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    andykan's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Is it equivalent to loading 720p YouTube videos? Cause I have no problem doing that on my PS3.
    Tiny little red dot - Singapore
  9. #9  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by andykan View Post
    Is it equivalent to loading 720p YouTube videos? Cause I have no problem doing that on my PS3.
    I think it's pretty close. The Apple TV does a little better job at compressing data and pushing it through than a computer and I would imagine it does a little better than the PS3, too. You shouldn't have any issues at all.
  10. #10  
    Nilsz's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    I'm also planning on getting it but is it also legal to jailbreak an Apple TV?
  11. #11  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    There is no current jail break for the current generation (3rd) of Apple TV's. because they are jail breakable you can find people selling the previous generation (2nd) for a premium on eBay, Craigslist, etc).

    The main difference between the two is that the 3rd supports 1080p and the 2nd only 720p.

    Not sure on the legality though.
  12. #12  
    bluenote's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,881 Global Posts

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Only the newer macs can use airplay with mountain lion; check your hardware.
    For older macs, you could possibly buy an app called air parrot but it may be slow and not clear resolution depending on age of your hardware.
  13. #13  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Only the newer macs can use airplay with mountain lion; check your hardware.
    For older macs, you could possibly buy an app called air parrot but it may be slow and not clear resolution depending on age of your hardware.
    I thought that older Macs with Mountain Lion could use airplay from iTunes, but they couldn't use airplay to mirror their desktop.
  14. #14  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,650 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,531 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I thought that older Macs with Mountain Lion could use airplay from iTunes, but they couldn't use airplay to mirror their desktop.
    Correct.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  15. #15  
    Jonezed7's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Home sharing works. You can also airplay from iTunes on the Mac depending in your iTunes and OSX versions. Mountain lion can mirror your Mac desktop.
    Only 2011+ models of macs will work.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    andykan's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    33 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    What can a jailbroken Apple TV do??
    Tiny little red dot - Singapore
  17. #17  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    5,884 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default I have plans to get Apple TV BUT...

    Connect to network drives to find media.
    Play formats not generally supported by Apple.
    Install Plex or XMBC.
    Install a web browser.

Similar Threads

  1. Good time to buy Apple TV?
    By iChrisMackey in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 01:39 AM
  2. All my close family are getting Apple TV for Xmas
    By Rene Ritchie in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
  3. How To Get Apple To Do A Non-Warranty Repair
    By dandbj13 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions