Apple TV for school - legality?

Italianblend

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I work in a school and we are investigating the possibility of getting an ipad and an apple TV to stream music, apps, videos, and whatever is on the screen to a projector in our auditorium.

But my colleague tells me that is illegal because of HDCP? What in the world would an apple TV be good for if you aren't able to stream content? Isn't that what the Apple TV does?

The guy in this video mentions it but I still don't understand.

(go to 0:44)
Apple TV to VGA Projector - YouTube

Is this setup not going to work for our school?

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how being used in an educational setting that it would be illegal. Might need to check with a lawyer to be positive though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't be illegal because of HDCP. HDCP is there to prevent copies from being made, as in if I watch something from iTunes, and try to rip the stream to make a recording, that violates HDCP. The content you're streaming may make it illegal, but so long as you have the rights to play it, there shouldn't be a problem. If you project it on to a TV now, or broadcast it in any other way, this wouldn't be any worse. I'd consult a lawyer if you don't already have something similar setup already, because I know schools have tight budgets.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In a physical sense, using Apple devices in the way you describe is very possible, and quite common.

It doesn't really matter how you are playing the media items in a classroom or auditorium in educational settings.... you must have proper licensing of the media to legally use things in educational settings.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It because of the content not the actual Apple TV ...

If you play say a movie for a audience you have to have the right to play it ... it has nothing to do with physically not being able to

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think kch50428's wording is clearer than mine. Basically, it won't be any *more* illegal than anything you are doing now. What you're doing now, may or may not be legal, but this won't change it.