AppleTV blinking after update

markw10

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was excited to read about the new Apple TV software update last night so quickly went to do the update. I've done many and never had a problem until this time.
I started the update and the last time I looked at it the download had around 1 minute left. When I went back about a half our later I simply saw the Apple TV's lighting blinking at a quick pace. I don't get any sound or video at all.
The model that I have is the most recent Apple TV. When doing some Google research I found similar problems but people talked about plugging it in via USB to your computer and syncing with iTunes but I believe that's for the older model. I figured there must be some type of hardware reset but I don't see anything like this.
is there some way to get it to work again such as by doing a hardware reset or do I have to go to the Genius Bar?

Thanks,

Mark

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
You might stand a better chance of a reply if you post in the right forum. This is for the rumours around the next Apple TV, the '4'.

Try Apple TV Forum.

HTH.

PJL500

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How to fix a bricked ATV2

The Oct 2012 update bricked my Apple TV-2, although the update went the same as previous updates and the unit worked for a few minutes. Then, next time I restarted it got stuck on "Whats New?" screen (the Continue button would not respond.) After about 7 minutes wait it went to the Home Screen but without response from the remote (I changed in a new battery too.) Then it went to the screensaver and stayed stuck on that. It refused to soft-reboot. I could not restore it either as iTunes (via Micro-USB cable) on my Macbook would not recognize the ATV2. (I tried all kinds of permutations and two Micro-USB cables.)

So I tried putting the ATV2 in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode using iTunes in Windows 7 (Pro) on Parallels (7). This worked. If you have access to a Windows machine- even better.

Here is How to Put the Apple TV into DFU Mode: (I had to try variations on this to get iTunes to see the ATV2 in Devices.)

Note: You will need a Micro-USB cable to connect your AppleTV with iTunes-for-Windows running.

Step 1: Connect the ATV2 via Micro-USB to computer.

Step 2: Hold menu+down for 6 seconds to reboot. (As that did not work for me I had to disconnect/reconnect power instead.)

Step 3: Then immediately hold Menu+Play (on the ATV2 remote) to go into DFU mode. (Rapid flashing followed by less rapid flashing.)

It (eventually after restarting iTunes, Windows etc) showed up in iTunes/Devices just like an iPhone etc.

Click Restore.

I then had to babysit the update as there are a number of messages to be OK-ed, and, at one time, iTunes for Mac began starting up.)

Back to normal (for now.)

This process was tenuous and required patience - I almost gave up trying to get iTunes to see the device.

[There's probably a hardware issue on some devices (different vendors?). Apple should exchange these defective units for refurbished ones. After all it's their software update that broke the units.]

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar issue after my last update. I simply unplugged, counted to ten, and plugged it in again. It started up normally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711