Apple TV vs. Digital AV Adapter

specialkd24

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm a pretty new Apple person (got a 4s in October, wife got an iPad in March) and I want to know the differences between getting an Apple TV vs. simply buying a Digital AV Adapter ... besides the fact one is wireless and the other is hooked directly into the TV.

Here is what I'm looking to do. I want to watch streaming sports content on my TV. I'd love to be able to watch ESPN3 games on the TV if that was possible, but I know it might not on AppleTV unless it is jailbroken (unless I read wrong).

Also one of the main reasons I would get it is I want to watch streaming college athletic games. There is a website provider (SIDEARM Sports) that will be streaming football/basketball games in HTML5 format this fall, so no app or special software is needed, you just have to go to a URL. I want to make sure I could watch these live streams on my TV.

I do have a MLB.TV subscription, so watching them on my TV would be a good bonus. I don't have Netflix (although maybe in the future), or watch much Hulu, but things like that could be a bonus. Mainly just sports.

Thoughts? I really appreciate helping a relative newbie.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the digital adapter and connect our iPads, I touches and iPhones to my stereo receiver to listen to music via the hdmi input on the receiver. In addition, I connect to our TVA using hdmi as well.

However, I am considering apple tv as well because my new iPhone 5 will not be able to use the adapter and my blu ray player on my main floor doesn't have Netflix streaming. I figure it could be a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I need to find out how does apple tv play streamed music and can you watch tv and stream music at the same time. I will post a thread on this topic.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, use the digital AV adapter is very nice, that you can play iPad videos on TV smoothly.
But as said the iPhone 5 will not be able to use the adapter, so if you are pretend to buy an iPhone 5, then you'd better turn to the Apple TV, and the Apple TV is a nice device to watch videos and movies, if not, then you could just get the digital adapter~

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods