Apple TV 4 want list

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Better integration with educational networks. I have one in my classroom but have to use a private, non-internet network because the ATV doesn't work well with our new network. I tried the Apple Configurator, but that's just one confusing program.

Craig610

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
With the iPad release schedule now shifted to Oct... Wonder if we can expect some big news for Apple TV 4 / iTV / etc in the spring?

Incun

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Most of my stuff is 'fix what you already have' and less of the shiny new stuff. But....

Fix iTunes metadata tagging. Many of the fields in Get Info (sort title, etc.) just don't work. Bring back submenus. For example: In Action & Adventure movie genre I'd like a submenu labeled "Bond" and then have the movies in chronological order - not alphabetical. I could do this on the 1st gen aTV and I still miss it. Same same for TV shows. I'm tired of scrolling through "Simpsons, season 1", "Simpsons, season 2"...."Simpsons, season 21". I just don't think the interface doesn't grow well.

Audio. I'd like to see what an Apple wireless speaker home theater system would look like.

Add iChat via iSight. Talking to people. Still happens.

New front screen. I just don't use most of those icons, and I'm tired of looking at advertisements for Netflix, Hulu and Major League Baseball every time I turn on my TV. They're as bad as my cable provider, where I have to scroll through all those channels I haven't paid for. Let me arrange (and remove) the icons I'm not interested in.

Games? I'm less interested in games ever since games started requiring me to sign onto their systems even for single-player mode. But a game for the family with an iPhone/iPad controller sounds like something that would be fun.

DVD streaming. Yes, I get DVD's from the library and I'd like to stream them to my TV from my Mac.

Emergency notifications. Yes, they happen. If there's a tornado outside and I'm watching Apple TV I still want to get the alarm.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Emergency notifications. Yes, they happen. If there's a tornado outside and I'm watching Apple TV I still want to get the alarm.

That's what 'government alerts' on your phone are for... or, there are apps for that on your phone. Or iPad. The new WetherChannel on the AppleTV is passive notification of alerts on the AppleTV...

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
802.11Ac
And
FM emitter so we can easily send music to any FM radio in the house !

So before that happen, I just plug an FM emitter to my Airport express and voila
Easy music everywhere I want in the house !

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Most of my stuff is 'fix what you already have' and less of the shiny new stuff. But....

New front screen. I just don't use most of those icons, and I'm tired of looking at advertisements for Netflix, Hulu and Major League Baseball every time I turn on my TV. They're as bad as my cable provider, where I have to scroll through all those channels I haven't paid for. Let me arrange (and remove) the icons I'm not interested in.

You can rearrange icons. Just select an icon and click until it goes into "wiggle mode"... then move it where you want.

Also using SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESTRICTIONS you can hide the icons that you don’t want to see.

Easy. Peasy.

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
How about, having the new ATVs run iOS apps?
Maybe some kind of dashboard like we have in iOS 7, to see upcoming events etc.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As a teacher, I'd like support for more advanced educational networks so that I can use it in my classroom again.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
wifi 8.2.11ac
HDD interface
wifi remote control instead of IR

I don't think you'll get any of those though. For a wifi remote, just use you iPhone or iPad assuming you have one of course. They tried having an HDD in the original Apple TV, but I guess that didn't work so well since it was discontinued. Faster wifi might be nice, but I doubt they'll include it since very few people have routers that could take advantage of it. But it would be nice to have anyway (although I always use Ethernet cables to hook up my Apple TVs).

I?d like to see 802.11ac, as well... It?s true that few routers support it yet, but the new Airport Extreme and TimeCapsules do, and somebody has to start the movement to ac... I have one room that I have not yet run cat5e into, so the faster speed would be nice for streaming.

I agree that if you need a wifi remote, that you iOS device is the perfect answer... and you can now easily and painlessly connect a bluetooth keyboard, as well.

And we all know that the HDD in the original ATV was problematic. I still have one, and I fire it up every once in a while and remember why I got the ATV v2 (and v3).

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
We have it on a couple phones and I have it on my iPad as well. I have to because we keep losing the little remote that it comes with.

We have a harmony remote because my kiddo kept losing the small apple one. I finally just threw the apple one in its box.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
App store like iOS, hands down, especially for gaming. Imagine the possibilities lol.

As for storage like the 1st gen ATV, bring that back, but make it flash memory-based.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
App Store-Rdio, crackle, spotify, etc

Better remote with 10 second rewind function

DVR functionality with cable pass through. Basically an apple version of TiVo.

moroboshi

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
A fully open App Store would be the biggie. For us UK Apple fans the ATV has always been a curio at best, lacking as it is almost all UK streaming services. The iPad/iPhone on the other hand, with their fully open app stores, have every UK streaming service imaginable.

I'd also like to see the ATV get a universal search feature, with recommendations and favourite series/directors/actors. That way the home screen could be nicely customised to show the things I'm interested in, regardless of which service they're hosted on. Notifications across my iOS devices could also tell me when there's a new episode of any show I have flagged. Search would of course be handled by Siri - stick a little microphone in the Apple remote to save me shouting across the room Kinect style.

An iOS7 style all new UI would of course also be a must.

More storage too, and storage options. If games are coming I'm going to need lots of storage. And a much beefier GPU too. The current A7 is far less powerful than a PS3, so it needs a lot more power if it's to be a realistic living room gaming system.

There's a ton of potential. I hope Apple see that and act upon it. It's been 7 years already, and the ATV is still an oddity

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2