Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IXInaplesIXI
  • 1 Post By Behshad
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Really annoyed with myself!

I already had an ATV2 and decided to get a new ATV3, mainly because of the of the 1080 HDMI output.

Very silly me didn't realise that the max resolution for my TV is 1080i not 1080p. All my other AV kit does output 1080i as well as 1080p so I have never had any difficulties until now.

It seems that the ATV3 does not output 1080i at all, therefore, rather disappointingly, the max resolution I can get is 720p as that is the highest resolution my TV supports in 'p' (progressive) mode.

Ah well.

I am not missing something here am I? The ATV3 will only output a max of 1080p and not 1080i?

Bummer.
    Cracking Toast Gromit!
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

As far as I know, Apple TV 3rd generation does not output 1080i.
    1080p & 720p at 50-60Hz.

I am sure a quick search will give you the definitive answer, but I think what I wrote is correct.

Did a quick search myself on their site under Technical Specs-
    •Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

Source:
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Thanks *END*.

I know you are right, I found that out too, but only after I bought it.

That's why I said I was really annoyed with myself. Having said that, it still works and with the faster processor, is noticeably faster.
    Cracking Toast Gromit!
    lv1
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I already had an ATV2 and decided to get a new ATV3, mainly because of the of the 1080 HDMI output.

Very silly me didn't realise that the max resolution for my TV is 1080i not 1080p. All my other AV kit does output 1080i as well as 1080p so I have never had any difficulties until now.

It seems that the ATV3 does not output 1080i at all, therefore, rather disappointingly, the max resolution I can get is 720p as that is the highest resolution my TV supports in 'p' (progressive) mode.

Ah well.

I am not missing something here am I? The ATV3 will only output a max of 1080p and not 1080i?

Bummer.
    I believe most tv sets can covert it to 1080i.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Well it is kinda strange. When I look in the settings menu on the ATV3, the maximum resolution listed is 720p. There is no option to set it to even 1080p.

Currently, the ATV3 is set to AUTO, which has set itself to 720p, 60Hz. But there is no option to even force it to 1080p or i.

Is this because when the ATV3 and the television 'handshake' and 1080p is not available, that's why it 'drops' back to 720p?
    Cracking Toast Gromit!
    iPhone Nanite

I do not have apple tv 3 but I was told a long time ago that 1080i is basically the same as 720p I am not an expert but my understanding was you can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. Maybe someone could clarify this if I am wrong.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Check out this video on YouTube:

Explains it better than I can
    iPhone Nanite

Sorry one more thing I found were the tech specs

Video Format:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with*AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with*AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file*formats
    Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by*720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I had an issue with the apple tv 2 and I had to reset it. I will keep looking for info the answer does interest me whatever it may be. Before I buy the 3rd one
    iMore Pro

1080p > 720p > 1080i
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Ah well.

Bummer.
    It does NOT do 1080i...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Really annoyed with myself!-img_0223.jpg  
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Newbie

Default Check your TV res

In that case, are you sure your TV's native resolution is not 720 (as mine is)

TVs with a 720 high panel often can interpret 720P or 1080i signals

If your panel is only 720 high, theres no point feeding it a 1080P signal.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Bare in mind that this TV is 7 years old, but according to it's manual, it has a max resolution of 1920x1080i

When using my other AV kit and viewing their picture on the TV, it works OK at 1080i. And yes, I can really see a difference between 720p and 1080i.

I realise all this is a mute point as the ATV3 does not output 1080i
    Cracking Toast Gromit!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Unfortionately 1080i is better...

Just for the record, 1080i is better (in terms of resolution or ppi). The difference between the 'p' and the 'i' refer to how each frame is shown in succession. Progressive (p) displays one full frame after the next, typically offering a smoother, richer image, generally good for movies and such. Interlaced (i) displays frames interlaced or "weaved" together. This can be done half a frame at a time (top half of frame one mixed with bottom half of frame two). It can also interlace every other horizontal line, as well as many other techniques. Interlacing is typically good for sports and fast action video.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhemmes View Post
    Just for the record, 1080i is better (in terms of resolution or ppi). The difference between the 'p' and the 'i' refer to how each frame is shown in succession. Progressive (p) displays one full frame after the next, typically offering a smoother, richer image, generally good for movies and such. Interlaced (i) displays frames interlaced or "weaved" together. This can be done half a frame at a time (top half of frame one mixed with bottom half of frame two). It can also interlace every other horizontal line, as well as many other techniques. Interlacing is typically good for sports and fast action video.
    You would be incorrect. Interlacing is generally NOT good for fast moving or live action type of video or anything with a high fps. Hence, how it displays content, even lines then the odd. Because progressive displays all lines at the same time, it has the clear advantage when it comes to high fps rates. Not just movies but live action like sports.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

Bare in mind that this TV is 7 years old, but according to it's manual, it has a max resolution of 1920x1080i

When using my other AV kit and viewing their picture on the TV, it works OK at 1080i. And yes, I can really see a difference between 720p and 1080i.

If your TV is a crt it will more than likely view 1080i very well.

However 720p is higher quality than 1080i. If your display handles 720p you are not missing out on anything by not having a 1080i signal.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    IOS5

I believed Apple was a customer service oriented company
    called 800 My Apple today and after a 20 minute on hold time, was offered a $29 service call because the location based reminders did not work as advertised

all this after an annoying exercise in converting my Apple ID (I had since 2006) to my email and it forcing password change required (it announced I had used the password I changed it to in the last year - it has not changed for WAY longer than that)

the iPhone is NOT a business tool, its a toy that plays music and surfs the web and makes phone calls
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,369 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm curious what type of TV you have? Plasma? LCD? Projection/DLP/LCos/etc?

Also, forget the 'p' and 'i' at the end. What is the native resolution of your TV?
    iPhone Beginner

Thanks, you saved me $100. I've got the same 1080i thing myself (1080p wasn't available in 56 inch TVs in 2005). And I have to desire to re-rip a bunch of aTV2 movies I did with Handbrake either. I think mine looks fine I just want more content, and aTV3 doesn't have that as I understand it.