Would you buy an Apple iTV television?

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is simple. And it's in java format!!

If (AppleTVThirdGen + SamsungTVofXinches >== AppleiTVofXinches)
{
Answer === "Yes"
}
else
{
Answer === "No"
}

:D forgive me if my java scripting is wrong I'm a java noob :p

But seriously I don't see a point in buying an appleitv at all...
It's a screen. That's all it is. Picture quality > features any day. Especially since I have a number of devices I can hook up to said screen that will easily add any and all of the features an iTV could possibly have. And then some.

ITV sounds as gimmicky and useless as samsung YouTube tvs with facebook buttons on them. My friend got one of those and made me sit with him while he searched **** on YouTube with the tv stand alone. Oh my did it take forever so painful! Even if apple made it faster, user friendly and sleek and sexy I still wouldn't care. It's a tv. Just. A tv.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is simple. And it's in java format!!

If (AppleTVThirdGen + SamsungTVofXinches >== AppleiTVofXinches)
{
Answer === "Yes"
}
else
{
Answer === "No"
}

:D forgive me if my java scripting is wrong I'm a java noob :p

But seriously I don't see a point in buying an appleitv at all...
It's a screen. That's all it is. Picture quality > features any day. Especially since I have a number of devices I can hook up to said screen that will easily add any and all of the features an iTV could possibly have. And then some.

ITV sounds as gimmicky and useless as samsung YouTube tvs with facebook buttons on them. My friend got one of those and made me sit with him while he searched **** on YouTube with the tv stand alone. Oh my did it take forever so painful! Even if apple made it faster, user friendly and sleek and sexy I still wouldn't care. It's a tv. Just. A tv.

And the iMac is just a computer and the Macbook Air is just a laptop and the iPhone is just a cellphone and the iPad is just a tablet and the iPod is just a music player. I get that. I very much doubt that Apple will mess with a TV just to sell it at freaking Costco next to a Sharp/LG/Samsung/Whatever. There's no future in that, they know it. There's a reason they don't have a TV out yet. If they ever do there will be a reason for that too.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It would be tempting to get one that's for sure, I'm not really in the market for one, but once you slap the Apple Logo on it, I might be able to rationalize the purchase from a "want" to a "need"

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I know apple products are mostly all "more than" what they are. iPod is just a music player, BUT it's still more. I get that. I bought iPad iPod and iPhone.

But this is a tv. Those products provide reliability and style and function superior to the competition. But this is a tv. I don't even have cable. I do everything on my pc and I <3 windows. If I get a Mac it will only be a business/school device. I will always have a pc at home as my driver for leisure and entertainment.

And I will always hook that pc up to my tv. And that will always negate any need I have for an apple tv, until I get a family and want to share content without letting them play on my private rig.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's purely dependent on the features it offers, the price that it is offered at and the design of the actual TV itself. On a modern flat panel television, they have A LOT of competition that make top end luxury oriented sets, and the options that Apple could capitalize on and stand out with are very VERY limited.

That said, and after seeing this past CES, the "Electronic Window" seems like the coolest "newish" idea to come along when it comes to TV's. If they can some how implement the ease of use and stream lined UI into such a product, and make it obtainable (say, under $5,000), they may be able to capture a niche, and then make people feel they want it over a cheaper Samsung or whatever brand you want to choose.

I think Apple's biggest hurdle is going to be restraining themselves from making proprietary connections for the iTV (or whatever it will be called), and staying away from putting things that are still essentially in the test market stage (IE: Thunderbolt, as it stands right now). Outside of that, keeping the price relevant to people who would consider apple products is a biggie.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
It really depends on the price point and features.

If it is basically an high quality LCD/Plasma/LED-LCD or something like that with an integrated AppleTV (or even Apple TV/iphone/Siri combo) than I probably will not.

If it is hugely more expensive than an equivalently sized TV from another manufacturer, than I probably will not.

If it offers something BEYOND the individual devices (and beyond simply integrating them into one unit) at a reasonable price point, then I might.

The problem is that a high end TV is more expensive than an iPad/iPhone/iPod purchase. It is on par with the upper end of their computer lines. So as Rene says, people aren't going to want to go out and buy a new one every year. Heck, people probably won't want to go out and buy a new one every two or three years.

Now, an Apple TV that also acted as a DVR, and streamed content via homesharing to all devices (even DVR content), could utilize apps with your iPhone or iPad as a controller, and had a few other features built in...that might be something worth looking into.

Chris

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha...I know how I am. No matter what I say right now, if this think comes out and it's friggin awesome, then I will want one. Now, that doesn't mean I will get one, mostly because I just don't have the resources right now. But there are few high end gadgets out there that I don't covet. Before the iPad came out I didn't think I would want one....seemed so gimmicky, but I sure as hell want one now. People said the same thing about touch screen phones......"oh it's just a gimmick, totally not practical.", and we all saw where that went.....

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I would buy one, but I could change my mind. Because the ATV2 is limited on features and partners, I'm expecting to see the same for an iTV. So for now, I think a Samsung Smart TV would be a way better choice.

Last edited:

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have no interest in a TV. Maybe years from now when my TV starts to go, I'll look at buying something a little fancier. In the end I don't want to interact with my TV, I want to watch it.

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I would buy one, but I could change my mind. Because the ATV2 is limited on features and partners, I'm expecting to see the same for an iTV. So for now, I think a Samsung Smart TV would be a way better choice.

I have an ATV2 and I also have a nice new Samsung SmartTV. Although the ATV2 is a little limited on features, it seriously outperforms my Sammsung. The computer part of that tv is slow and buggy as hell. The QWERTY remote that came with it is just about useless. There are a few thing it has over the ITV2, like Pandora.....and I like how it interacts with the Blue Ray player it came with....really neat feature. That said, Apple things just seem to work better. That continues to be the lesson I learn time and time again when I try new things. Well, if nothing else, my Samsung has on hell of a picture!! :cool:

kened

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
TV user interfaces have not been updated in years! I would love to see how Apple would go about making TV menus intuitive and user-friendly.

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be awesome when you are surfing the web or watching a movie or creating a document to use the tv screen for extra real estate. I actually think this will be a huge success for Apple and I can't wait!!!!!

:D

davidwlms

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I shudder at the thought of lining up every year to buy a $5K Apple iTV television the way I currently buy iPhone and iPad devices.

I'm hoping Apple knows the cycle will have to be different, but I'm also a huge fan of their technology so the idea of getting a *better* television entices me...

What about you, would you buy one?
I think I should buy at least one for me.!!!!

_zguy__#IM

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No way, tv buying is all about size and picture quality for a price. Smart tvs are useless, I prefer my Panasonic with simple input menu to interatct between the ps3 and cable box. A smart tv is useless when you have to buy a blu ray player/home theatre system that has the smart features.

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've got an PC running XBMC hooked up to my flatscreen. It does everything from airplay streaming to Battlefield 3 to online music to being an airvideo server that serves my movies to my iPhone anywhere I go. I doubt apple will be able to match that feature set. I hope they do, because it would be a pretty awesome tv. I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2