Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

19 Posts

Default Apple TV For Audio Only

I currently have a non-HD TV. I do have a decent sound system with ability to connect an Apple TV with an optical connection. Since I will eventually buy an HD TV, could I buy an Apple TV now and just connect to my receiver? I really want to listen to my music using Air Play. I have two 4s phones, IPad 2 and ITunes on my Windows computer. I need help! Thanks.

You would still need a way to set up the apple tv so I would be hard anytime u wanted to play music I would look into a airport express is has a audio line out and can make your system AirPlay capable

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone Beginner

93 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I have both an Apple TV connected to one reveiver using an optical and I also have an AirPort Express connected to another receiver using jacks. I can play my itunes songs using the app Remote (Apple, free) from my iTouch and can choose to play the songs from the Apple TV home theater speaker OR the bookshelf stereo speakers OR both at the same time (which is really cool, 8 speakers).
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts

if you have a dvi monitor you could get an hdmi to DVI cable and use that to setup the connection prefs etc. on the ATV and then hook it to your receiver for audio playback.

if you jailbreak you can install the vnc app for the ATV and view the screen from your computer without a TV hooked to the ATV over your network if you need to trouble shoot any issues.