Apple TV 2 Worth it?

sep2006

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it? What can you do on it? Trying to decide between Google TV and this... Google TV seems like the much better option at this point. Opinions?

Mark511

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I gues it depends what you want to do with it and what kind of set-up you already have in your home. I use my for netflix, airplay from my iphone and view photos and play music from my computer. Of course I just got a Blu Ray Player that can do the music and photo thing now and stream Netflix. So besides Airplay it's almost useless to me at this point! :eek:

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, I'd say the Google TV is a better buy. Apple TV is extremely limited in its functionality. Unless you're heavily invested in an iTunes collection, you may find Apple TV to be of little use. It's picky about media formats, has limited functionality, and honestly, the UI really sucks. Google TV seems to have far more features going for it at the moment that are supposed to grow with the release of a Honeycomb upgrade. Sure, you can jailbreak the Apple TV to add more features to it, but if that's the way you wanted to go about things, you could throw XBMC onto an old computer or laptop and turn it into a vastly superior media center. Price used to be a big selling point, but with the Logitech box at the same price, and a selection of Roku boxes with more functionality available as well, there is little to recommend in the way of the Apple TV beyond iTunes support. If they would update Apple TV to add more functionality and maybe some form of app support, then things may be different, but for now, Apple TV has quickly become redundant for me since my PS3 supports Netflix and is far less picky about media formats.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Google TV clearly seems like the best choice, but the user experience is dreadful. I'd just wait till the HC/ICS update comes to Google TV. I'm sure Google will say something about it at their event Tuesday.

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I was holding one in my hand yesterday. Decided not to get it. My samsung TV and blu-ray player, and PS3 have more features than the apple tv.

LAS#IM

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
research XBMC. once it was released for the ATV2, made it much more worth it.

also, with airplay, what better way to play the media on your iphone or ipad to your big screen and booming home stereo. :cool:

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I love my Apple TV. I only use it for one thing- effortless streaming of Netflix. I only have antenna TV, so Netflix access is important to me. My Sony TV and BD player can technically stream Netflix, but they are generally a huge PITA to do so. Apple TV just works.

Recently I bought my first movie on iTunes, as an experiment. I installed it on the iPad, and when I selected it, was asked if I wanted to watch it on the iPad or Apple TV. So simple. If there were any films I felt I had to have in my permanent collection (possibly Machete :) I would most likely go this route, now, rather than a DVD. I'm so tired of them taking up space.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
i never use it. i use my tivo for netflix. if i ever shoot video with my iPhone i can airplay it to that though. and with ios5 i can send my ipad2 screen to the tv. that makes it worth it. its a $99 apple device, you basically have to get it :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The 2nd generation Apple TV is 13 months old at this point, and rumors are starting up about clues within the iOS software indicating that the 3rd generation is coming. I'd hold off for a bit and see watch to see what happens.

I think the 2 gen Apple TV is a great piece of technology and have several for streaming my library of ripped (owned) DVDs and personal videos. But if I were considering another purchase, I'd wait to see if Apple announces the 3rd generation device any time soon. The 3rd gen device is rumored to have the A5 processor and do 1080p video.

sep2006

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Google TV clearly seems like the best choice, but the user experience is dreadful. I'd just wait till the HC/ICS update comes to Google TV. I'm sure Google will say something about it at their event Tuesday.

Except for the fact that it was delayed. And no matter what anyone says about it I'm sticking to the fact they were respecting Steve Jobs

I wouldn't really use air play cause the only Apple product I own is a touch so I couldn't stream pictures of video to it that I took on the device (It's a 3rd Gen) and i could easily access it from the computer set up I have hooked into my TV

Plus I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 so it seems like neither Google TV or Apple TV would benefit me at the moment. I'll wait and see about the HC/ICS update or the Apple TV 3 to see if either of those are worth it. For now I'm good with what I got.

Thanks!

ivan1.ruiz

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok questions... I have a roku box and I'm thinking on getting an apple tv.

1. What channels can I get of I jailbreak the apple tv?

2. If I mirror from my iPhone to the apple tv does it play any video on my iPhone? Movies downloaded to my iPhone or streaming movies not with iTunes.

" Think different"

~ Steve Jobs ~

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I gues it depends what you want to do with it and what kind of set-up you already have in your home.
Quite right.
And I think it's totally worth it, I like the Apple TV, it's a cool home media centre for my family now.

Ivan1.ruiz said:
1. What channels can I get of I jailbreak the apple tv?
Well, after jailbreak, you can add additional functionality by installing XBMC, Plex, and Nitro TV, and enjoy it on the go.
if you like live sports, stream movies, Live ESPN3, Amazon VOD and Hulu are for u.
For more tip: AppleTV 2 - AwkwardTV

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Thinking of buying an Apple TV...worth it?

I have an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and Macbook Air. I was looking into getting a Apple TV soon but wanted to hear form people that own one if it is truely worth it? What are the benefits? Can I somehow get skype/facetime calls to come through my TV so everyone in the room can see without huddling around my phone/iPad?

Any benefits to jailbreaking it?

Thanks

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't jailbroken mine and probably won't. So far, it's only ok. I was hoping the latest update would add more features, but it hasn't really. The NHL thing is kind of nice, but other than that, it's completely lacking in any kind of usable feature. Sure, you could jailbreak it and add more stuff to it, but really, unless that was the goal in the first place, why spend $99 bucks on something that you need to hack to get any functionality out of it? I think Roku offers more content and a better value for the same money or cheaper, and the Logitech Revue could be up there if they ever manage to update the thing. The latest update for Apple TV was a huge letdown and really added very little in terms of adding true value. Unless you've got a huge investment in your iTunes library, I don't think it's really worth the money.

curve247

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine, and i have to say its worth it. We use it in my house on a daily basis. it works just as it should, and netflix is great. i would highly recommend it. I just wish i hadnt waited as long as i did.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and Macbook Air. I was looking into getting a Apple TV soon but wanted to hear form people that own one if it is truely worth it? What are the benefits? Can I somehow get skype/facetime calls to come through my TV so everyone in the room can see without huddling around my phone/iPad?

Any benefits to jailbreaking it?

Thanks

I'd definitely say its worth it! Especially since you have both the 4s and the iPad 2 which you can fully mirror which is AWSOME. Plus the streaming of your complete iTunes library on your computer is great. And Netflix just works, it's just its easy to use. Plus the whole interface of the apple tv is polished. And for Skype and FaceTime time you can see on it if you mirror the iPhone or iPad, but the camera would still feed through your device. And it includes AirPlay in all the devices. I've also heard many rumors of apple working on a software update for Mac to mirror it. So it's an awesome device that's does tons for its tiny price tag. I haven't jailbroken it though, it does all I want it too.

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73