Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Default AppleTV Gen 2 connect to sound system

I have ordered an Apple TV (second generation) and think I screwed up. My impetus for ordering is to use it to Airplay music to my NAD sound system. Looking at the setup manual, it looks like the only audio out is via optical cable whereas the first generation had analog audio(RCA plugs) out. is there any way to connect the second gen unit to my sound system?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Besides the optical audio, the only other option for audio out is via the HDMI port.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

So AppleTV really is not a good solution to delivery high quality audio to a sound system that lacks optical input.
    iPhone Nanite

Default HDMI audio pass through TV to A/V system

Just run the hdmi out to your HDTV, and then use the audio out from your tv to your AV system. I use the TV for audio pass through in several locations including in the Motorhome where my AV receiver only has one input. In cases like this you can buy an audio splitter/combiner (RCA type) and have two inputs into one set of audio jacks.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrippslarry View Post
    Just run the hdmi out to your HDTV, and then use the audio out from your tv to your AV system. I use the TV for audio pass through in several locations including in the Motorhome where my AV receiver only has one input. In cases like this you can buy an audio splitter/combiner (RCA type) and have two inputs into one set of audio jacks.
    So the TV will pass through audio even when turned off?