How to make Apple TV the dominant force in the universe.
The Apple Tv still is an untapped goldmine. I have one and use it to stream Netflix and every so often rent a movie. Movie prices are still to high for my taste though since Redbox movies are only a buck. Icloud would be an excellent start. They need to do four things to really let the Apple TV takeoff.
1. Enable support for other video types. I have downloaded over 200 movies in a variety of formats. My computer plays them fine but if I could stream them I would instantly have my whole collection ready to watch on my main tv with no hassles, no problems and ease of use. That is totally Apple. Ease of use and customer experience.
2. Video games. There is a huge market here. The real problem becomes the controller. Do you use an iPhone? Do you use something similar to a Wii or Ps3 controller? Apple loves easy and simplicityjust look at the current remote. My solution? Tough. Ive got nothing. Cmon Apple the controller is the key, come up with it and you own the living room.
3. Apps, Apps, Apps. This is not so much about having Twitter on your TVI mean cmon are you really wanting Twitter on your TV?but is more about opening up the Apple TV to developers and the imagination of the whole development community. What about a web browser? A CNN app? A weather app? What great things would all the developers come up with? No one knows and thats the pointthe killer app might not have even been thought of yet.
4. Sports. Even more specifically the NFL. Find a way to stream NFL Sunday Ticket. Every NFL Game every week. Then enable ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN 3. FOX and others would quickly follow. One of THE main reasons people wont cut the cord with cable is sports and the NFL and ESPN are two of the biggest names.
iOS has the potential to really further embed itself and make Apple more powerful and the Apple TV is the key. Win the living room and you can win the war.
What do you think?
- 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM #2
Personally, I am just converting my movies now so it doesn't matter. That would be a pain if you didn't have the support video type.
Could careless about games, that's why I have an iPad and iPhone.
Apps would be nice but again, the reason for my other devices.
I do want to see hockey and football on my AppleTV next season. I have MLB.TV and will get NBA league pass next season but those other sports would be nice.
That's great that you are converting your files but most people in America don't know how to and DON'T WANT to. Too much hassle. Apple could easily flip the switch on a much easier solution. Remember it's all about the customer EXPERIENCE.
Also games are great on the iPad but console gaming is a huge market that apple could easily get into with out much trouble. The point is getting people into the iOS family. If you had the choice of an xbox or an apple tv that could do all of the above for only $99 a lot of people would choose the cheaper option.
- 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM #4
- 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM #5iMore Intermediate
- 176 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
It would be cool to see Safari on ATV2.
Games would be ok.
It would be cool to have notifications on ATV2 so if you're watching a movie instead of a game ESPN can give you updates without having to pull out your phone or your laptop to check the score.
Widgets would also be helpful such as weather and stocks.
Games...eh I like the dedicated game platform such as PS3 or 360 (doesn't mean I wouldn't use ATV2 as a gaming device if they released something worthwhile)
@korp what do you use to convert and what are your average conversion times?
Re: How to make Apple TV the dominant force in the universe.
I've got to say, I posted this three years ago and it still applies today. Even more so cuz Dish networks contract with the NFL is about to run out and they are going to open bidding on it. Having the NFL would push adoption.
The only idea I would add to this is to include a Tuner so that you could pick up all of the over the air signal from ABC, CBS, etc.
Posted via the Android iMore App!
- 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM #7
- 04-12-2014, 10:10 PM #8