Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Downgrade Apple TV 2G from 4.1.1 to 4.1

I have recently purchased an apple tv 2nd gen and want to jailbreak it to run XBMC but still have all the air play features for when im not in XBMC, Which i have had working whilst running 4.1.1. However i was using my friends mac to jailbreak it and i dont want to have to tether boot it every time. as 1. it is incredibly annoying and 2. i do not have access to the mac all the time.

Can someone please tell me if the 4.1 jailbreak is a tethered one and if it is not is there any way of downgrading my ios version from 4.1.1 to 4.1 so that i can jailbreak with that version in order to not have to teathered boot it everytime. as i try to restore with a 4.1 version in itunes it gets blocked on the checking with apple stage. any ideas?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by clutts; 02-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,375 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The latest Apple TV firmware is actually 4.2.1, it's the same as iPhone. And yeah, that means a tethered Jailbreak.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Yer thanks, I've managed to get a work around now so that i can boot it from a windows machine.

Can't wait for 4.3 now
    iPhone Beginner

Whats your work around? I just got one and dont have a mac laptop that I can put in the room with the apple tv. PM me or post here.

I have a windows netbook though if there is any windows tethtered.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Hey sorry i didn't rely sooner just noticed your message

I have got it all working, the only thing is that I got my friend a with a mac to jailbreak it and i have a windows based tethered boot solution. So that is still a pain.
    So unless you can get hold of a mac to jailbreak and get a PC near the apple TV to boot it, my solution will not work for you

However Greenpois0n are apparently releasing a untethered jailbreak for windows really soon and with the new software on the way so there should be more untethered options really soon.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help.

Good luck with the jailbreak and if you find any untethered solutions that work now please let me know

Cheers
    P
    iPhone Beginner

Tell me what you use. I have a mac, and a pc for booting it tethered.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Hey,

Well I Jailbroke with Seas0npass using a mac, and to tethered boot i use https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kbrfeh03e...red%20Boot.zip on the windows machine. Run the "Run Me To Boot" and follow the instruction, you need to make sure you have the latest version of itunes for it to work Hope that all works for you

P
    iPhone Beginner

I have tried this MANY times and it works, but I get no network access. No wifi and no wired networking. Guess I'll have to wait for gp.

Yeah, used latest version of iTunes and seasonpass.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

No Network at all? i presume that you have tried rejailbreaking?
    iPhone Beginner

Yeah. Tried many times.
    Freshly reflashed official fw then tried it all again. Many times. Reinstalled iTunes etc. Same result time after time. Boooo. I'll try some new things tonight. I'll post results here.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Good Luck Hopefully the new jailbreaks will give you better luck
    iPhone Beginner

Success... Followed this. Worked 1st try!

How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Apple TV 2G on Windows with Custom IPSW

Have to say, xbmc is nice. Still needs better themeing and we need a way to boot straight there.
    Thanked by:
    clutts (02-10-2011)
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Nice, Cheers for the heads up, will save me having to get my mate if i need to re jailbreak.
    And hopefully it will not be long before the untethered stuff is out there

Happy XBMCing