New aTV Update = No HD Playback for Some?

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Since the new Apple TV update, I have been having trouble playing back some of the .m4v files that were previously playing perfectly. They are all HD and around 2-3 GBs. I read somewhere online that since the update, aTV looks for a Chapter track; if one is not present, it will just show a black screen, the progress bar at the bottom, and a loading circle in the lower left-hand corner. That is exactly what was happening to me. In a hope to correct this, I took one of my .m4v files, loaded it into iSubtitle, and added a default Chapter track (a new chapter every 10 minutes). I resaved the file (it saves as a .mov) and then loaded the new file into iTunes. I then went on my aTV, tried playing the original file with no luck. I then tried playing the exact same movie (now with a Chapter track and saved as .mov), and it loaded right up.

So if other people out there are having issues playing some of their movies and a full restore doesn't work, try this out. Hopefully Apple will correct this in the next update or I will have to add subtitles to each one of my movies which will be somewhat of an annoyance.

Best,
cdudek

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Just tested a bunch of different content on mine and everything played fine. I've never really checked for chapter tracks but I don't think they all have them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73