Should I get one?

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I've been reading about ATV and I had a few questions about it. Here is what I'm looking to do:

I have been ripping my movies to the computer, I have close to 3 TB of storage on it, not filled, but filling up. I want to be able to watch this on my TVs. Right now I have a blu-ray player that will play most anything I throw at it via USB port. Most of my stuff is in avi (xvid) and the newer stuff is MKV (h.264).

What I'm considering:
getting a dell zino off craigslist for about $250 and turning it into a HTPC, won't require much in the way of upgrading.
Apple Tv and streaming from my desktop
building a dedicated HTPC machine
getting a WDtv or a similar device by seagate.

What I want out of the device I get:
I really just want to be able to watch the MKV of xvid movies on my TV with the least amount of effort on a daily basis, I want my non-tech savvy wife to be able to navigate it without trouble, and that is why I'm leaning toward Apple TV, I just can't quite figure out if it will work for what I want it to do. Thanks for any help you can provide, I apprecaite it!

rangerbob

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
i have always been hunting for that "perfect" media streaming device.
i have currently in use:
ASRock
WDTV LIVE
Apple TV 2 - or whatever this new one is called.

i love all the devices above. the ASRock is a PC, and operates the best. only downside is the price tag.

i bought the Apple TV2 knowing that someone will Jailbreak it, and find a way to stream MKV's to it. would i suggest buying it, yes, if you have a big itunes library. i have an ipad and iphone so i do have to convert some movies already, but that's the problem, the converting.
with the latest news about NitoTV, i am really hoping that it will pull thru soon.
if you have the cash, look at a mini PC, mac mini, or like i did, the ASRock.

Reactions: Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks aweber. Just got back from the apple store, picked one up. I moved last weekend and haven't finished setting up my computers and network yet, but that's today's project. Can't wait to play with it tonight.

And thanks again for the advice, I was thinking the same thing wrt jailbreak. Have you jail broken yours yet? I will probably do that tonight as well.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have just given my Apple TV away. My relatively new Sharp Aquos will not do sound over HDMI, which Apple TV requires. They did not tell me that that was a requirement when I bought the device.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have just given my Apple TV away. My relatively new Sharp Aquos will not do sound over HDMI, which Apple TV requires. They did not tell me that that was a requirement when I bought the device.

How does your Aquos not do sound over HDMI? That's kind of the point of HDMI, all in one digital cable. I have 2 Aquos TVs and both accept sound from HDMI from all manner of devices.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
How does your Aquos not do sound over HDMI? That's kind of the point of HDMI, all in one digital cable. I have 2 Aquos TVs and both accept sound from HDMI from all manner of devices.

He must be plugging it into a DVI port... thats the only way HDMI isn't going to have sound.

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
So I finally got internet yesterday, after about 2 weeks of Comcast being, well, being Comcast. I couldn't login to Netflix right away, around 8:30 PM EDT, but i was able to login around 10:30 PM EDT. Watched an episode of 30 Rock, looked great.

So far pretty happy with it. I wish it played MKV or AVI, but I am building a new 4 GHz 6 core computer that should be able to transcode my files pretty quickly. As opposed to the 6-7 hours it takes now for 720p.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish it played MKV or AVI, but I am building a new 4 GHz 6 core computer that should be able to transcode my files pretty quickly. As opposed to the 6-7 hours it takes now for 720p.

That's gonna be one beastly rig... I'm also waiting on the JB to allow mkv playback. I really dig the ATV UI and the control feature with my phone. I have a half decent machine but dont want to spend time converting videos.

If all else fails, my tv (Samsung C650), streams media and supports mkv playback.

Reactions: whmurray

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73