Buffering issue - Apple TV 2 and Netflix

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello-

I have an Apple TV 2 I purchased back in the summer (2011). Software version 4.4.4 (3330) and is connected wireless to my network with HDMI to my TV.

Ever since I have purchased the device it would infrequently either drop network connection entirely or yield buffering issues when I attempted to stream Netflix. A pain in neck yes but like I said it would occur infrequently once or twice a day.

The past week it is now occurring to the point that watching something is impossible with it lagging out to buffer every 15 seconds or so. I am able to watch Netflix with no buffering issues on my laptop mere inches away from the ATV block and also on my wife's ipad 2 and on my desktop. The only buffering issues I am seeing is on my Apple TV.

I have reset all the hardware numerous times. I have 4 out of 5 bars on the wifi signal strength meter on the ATV. I have changed the connection DHCP protocol from automatic to manual and set the DNS address to everything I have been able to find on every Google result which includes several apple forums like macrumors. No dice.

Anyone have any ideas? This is extremely frustrating as this thing is $100 bucks and after 30 days you have to drop another $30 for tech support (which is absolute garbage). Any help is appreciated.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Calm down.

Mine did the same things when I was using the provided router from Qwest. I now have Comcast w/ a Apple AirPort Extreme router and everything is flawless now.

Feel better big boy?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And the laptop v AppleTV may be apples and oranges. Netflix used to have separate stream feeds for computers and set-top boxes... but definitely check your router. You might also try running cat5e cable from the router to the AppleTV just to see if it's a wireless or other issue.

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Calm down.

Mine did the same things when I was using the provided router from Qwest. I now have Comcast w/ a Apple AirPort Extreme router and everything is flawless now.

Feel better big boy?

Not sure why you said calm down, Didnt know you could get verbal inflections from pixels on a screen.

I can play bandwidth intensive video games and stream multiple Netflix instances without a hiccup but I can't stream a show with all the proper ports open on my router?

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
And the laptop v AppleTV may be apples and oranges. Netflix used to have separate stream feeds for computers and set-top boxes... but definitely check your router. You might also try running cat5e cable from the router to the AppleTV just to see if it's a wireless or other issue.

Once I got an apple support manager on the phone he indicatd to me that Netflix apps access the content differently than browser (which may or may not have to do with different stream sources). When I asked him why the iPad was able to stream ok and the apple tv wasn't he merely repeated the above. Wonderful support.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Once I got an apple support manager on the phone he indicatd to me that Netflix apps access the content differently than browser (which may or may not have to do with different stream sources). When I asked him why the iPad was able to stream ok and the apple tv wasn't he merely repeated the above. Wonderful support.

I havent had this issue until i d/led the latest ATV iOS update. However on iOS devices itself I don't have buffering issues, so I think it has something to do with the iOS version for the ATV itself.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner