Will Apple provide an answer to Microsoft's Wireless Display Adapter?

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...2Fp%2Fwireless-display-adapter&token=k9MrKzy5

I'd love an all-singing, all-dancing Apple TV 4. But I'd also love a simple device like the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. This would be a simple dongle that you attach into the TV that enables AirPlay.

I have several TV's that are mounted to a wall and which I'd like to be able to AirPlay to, but where there is no obvious place to put a full-on Apple TV.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? It seems like an obvious thing for Apple to do.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
With Apple's Remote app to control the AppleTV, it can be placed anywhere you want...there are oodles of possibilities to attach an AppleTV to a wall mount behind a TV.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Basically a Chromecast but for Apple products. I'd like to have something like that not because it's hard to hide the Apple TV, but because the little dongles would be cheaper to purchase.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
With Apple's Remote app to control the AppleTV, it can be placed anywhere you want...there are oodles of possibilities to attach an AppleTV to a wall mount behind a TV.
You motivated me to try moving my own Apple TV behind my TV to see what would happen. I find that the remote's connectivity becomes very intermittent when it doesn't have line of sight to the Apple TV. I don't know what technology it's using - IR?

So it would have to be some form of "dangling" the Apple TV below the actual TV (for example). Which still leaves me hoping that Apple comes out with a dongle of its own. Really, there's no reason that AirPlay has to be tied to the Apple TV. A dongle would be easy to add it to TV's and projectors that are used for presentations.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like this is a stop-gap solution for mounting an Apple TV on a TV:

TotalMount TV Mount for Apple TV - Apple Store (Canada)

Still want an airplay dongle though so I can easily add an Apple TV to a projector. :p

What's stopping you from easily adding an Apple TV (as it exists now) to a projector?

The only real benefit of a small dongle type device similar to MS's is cost really...and if you're obsessed with having the smallest accessory possible. I helped build my father in laws theater room...he has an Apple TV unit connected to his projector that is simply mounted on the ceiling next to it in the projector's stage housing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2