If I have a smart TV $ PS4 do I need Apple TV?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Really just Airplay is the only thing you're missing. If you're heavily invested in iTunes, being able to access all your media and buy/rent from the iTunes store may also be something that you're missing out on.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Also mirroring your iDevice, if you like that. As for Apple TV being a ripoff, I don't see it like that. The reason being is that there are people who don't have smart tv's and want a device like it or similar like Roku or Chromecast and for the price it's not a bad deal.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nah , man it just seems Apple TV is useless if you have a smart TV

If your TV and PS4 does everything you need, and you don't need mirroring, save your money. If it was a new updated version I would probably feel differently, but it's not. I'm actually looking into getting the fire TV. I don't have a PS4 (fun fact. I've never owned a game system or put a game on my phone) or a smart TV so I'm thinking it'll be good for Netflix and Prime streaming.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple TV is not a Rip off if you use Airplay a lot like I do. And I find it's more user friendly than my parents Samsung Smart TV

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
pretty much what beyondfire and others have said. Only if you need airplay and want to buy from itunes. I've monitored these devices for years and many have some new features and amazon is fast and has voice. All those are nice things. But I have only an 5 old wdtv and an xbox 360. It's quite astounding how well they hold up; the combination of the products. My wdtv plays virtually every kind of file you can throw at it with almost any codec combination. mkv, ac3, ts, avi, mpg, vod, aac, dts, wma, etc. it's old but it does do youtube. I use that for my home video library. And xbox 360 does hbo, showtime, netflix, foxnow, youtube, hulu and several other apps. For my needs the test for an apple tv or roku is do you do all that better, and so much better that it's worth me spending $100 bucks for it. WDTV can be tempermental but once it's set up it's pretty good. Xbox is a bit clunky interface wise but the apps work well. I've caught up on empire with the foxnow app.

And if you access all you can from you're ps4 and smart tv it's just a question of if you want airplay and to buy from itunes and do you want to spend the money. Me what i have works so i have the luxury to wait until roku, apple tv, amazon etc decide to finally make a great device that can do it all.